Any thoughts on AirBnB in Sukhumvit?

I am planning on visiting BKK in August.  I have been many, many times and always stay on/near Soi 11.  I have stayed at Mercure, Citadines, Aloft, Sofitel, etc.

I have recently stayed at AirBnBs in parts of Europe and South America.  Has anyone had any experience with AirBnB in BKK?  There are plenty on the AirBnB app, the Prime condo or Hyde condo that are on Soi 11 (where Bed Supperclub used to be).

They look cheaper than a hotel, with a better gym and decent pool, etc.

Any thoughts?  

Thank you,

Lev123

Edited by lev123

I use them all the time in Bangkok and Pattaya. I just had an AirBnb in Sukhumvit Suits on soi 13 (Old building but very big rooms). The host was very friendly and went out of her way make sure I was happy. She even did my laundry for free as she owns a laundry-mat in the building. As I was staying for a few weeks, it was nice to have a kitchenette so I could cook my own meals sometimes. No problems with guests but clarify that with the host.

Be aware that in Thailand, daily and weekly rentals are "illegal"(so I've heard), but that's pretty much ignored. Sukhumvit suits has a big menacing  sign in the lobby stating that "This is NOT a hotel! No Daily or Weekly Rentals. Guests staying in the building that aren't registered with the Juristic office will be taken to the police station for trespassing". But I had absolutely no problems during my stay. The guards and people at the front desk were all friendly to me. Just be polite, and stay under the radar around the building staff and other occupants of the building.

- odb

I've used Airbnb loads of times in Thailand and never had any issues.

For longer stays it's definitely better value but the only downside is you don't get room cleaning included usually

I can't imagine anyone who bought a new condo at Hyde on 11 didn't think there was gonna be loads of short term rentals going on before hand due to the location

• 3 weeks later...

I am vaguely aware of some law that hotels need to register foreign guests....

Every time you check into a hotel, they ask for your passport and take down the information of all registered guests, apparently have to send it somewhere. I remember the owner at a small hotel up in an Isaan village explaining to me when asking for my passport...

But, I can't really imagine this is closely enforced, if only because of the number of tourists.  Although, I'm not sure why whoever's renting the airbnb would be unable to send this in to be compliant...

I am vaguely aware of some law that hotels need to register foreign guests....

Every time you check into a hotel, they ask for your passport and take down the information of all registered guests, apparently have to send it somewhere. I remember the owner at a small hotel up in an Isaan village explaining to me when asking for my passport...

But, I can't really imagine this is closely enforced, if only because of the number of tourists. Although, I'm not sure why whoever's renting the airbnb would be unable to send this in to be compliant...

This law is just in the news https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/special-reports/1724515/furore-over-tm30-forms

Interesting, I knew hotels were required to do this, I didn't realize landlords and such also. Or I suppose even an overnight stay at a friends house? And I find this amusing:

The Bangkok Post spoke to several Thai landlords but none wanted to discuss the matter out of concern they might be fined by the Immigration Bureau (IB).

I used Airbnb in Asoke recently and found it very good, clean it was right behind mcdonalds. Good price. However we were tolf not to mention that it was a Airbnb if anyone asked, i suppose thats a government thing, we had the same thing in Korea aswell. I would think with Airbnb getting bigger hotels are affected and some people arent getting their slice of the pie.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk