How to avoid the horror of immigration scams

Suphawk

I've heard of a few instances of scams taking place when leaving Thailand. People being jailed and setup, bullet in the luggage or made up issues with your documents.

Does anyone have tips on how to best avoid this or is it just the luck of the draw?

It might be luck of the draw.

One thing to avoid is the duty free scam.  When you pay for the items that you bought, the cashier throws in a little extra that you think is a freebie.  Then you are stopped by a cop for shoplifting and taken to a facility, there you meet a guy who can make it "go away" if you pay the fines.

• Like 1

Don't look rich, don't piss off anyone with power. If their goal is to get a bribe then they know they can't get blood from a stone. Many thousands of people pass through BKK everyday, you're more likely to get hit by lightning then get scammed in the airport if you're being just a regular joe who is leaving Thailand.

Edited by Ohyesuare
  • Like 3

• 4 months later...
On 1/19/2020 at 10:20 PM, Suphawk said:

I've heard of a few instances of scams taking place when leaving Thailand. People being jailed and setup, bullet in the luggage or made up issues with your documents.

Does anyone have tips on how to best avoid this or is it just the luck of the draw?

I don't know if it helps, but I only ever travel to Thailand with carry-on. I pack everything I need in one bag which fits under the seat or in the overhead compartments. I love it. Saves time checking in/fetching suitcases too.

7 hours ago, joeyb said:

I don't know if it helps, but I only ever travel to Thailand with carry-on. I pack everything I need in one bag which fits under the seat or in the overhead compartments. I love it. Saves time checking in/fetching suitcases too.

I do same because I hate have the wait for my suitcase . Airplane to Sukhumvit usually within an hour.Never been scammed in all my years of travel to Thailand. Just behave and everything will be ok 

• 3 weeks later...

The bullet-in-the-luggage scam is mostly a Philippines phenomenon from what I understand- used to be a group of agents running that scam out in the main Manila airport.  I don't think that ever happened in Thailand.  Not in this century at least.

• 1 year later...