COVID-19 VIRUS NEWS

Hi Dave do you have a link for this? All I’ve found so far is an article showing the Thai government were ‘thinking about’ this. I often travel from Singapore to BKK so this would affect me if so (although for now I can still travel from BKK to Singapore).

On 3/4/2020 at 8:00 PM, Rocky Rockstar said:

https://www.straitstimes.com/asia/se-asia/singapore-thai-embassy-clarifies-bangkok-advisory-healthy-singaporeans-need-not-self

Actually they’ve confirmed so long as you aren’t showing symptoms you’ll still be allowed in - phew!

Typical Thailand, they gave no guidelines. Fortunately, Thailand is still safe to visit and it is good to see they are taking this seriously. 

Edited by Dave The Rave

Precisely so as not to stigmatize a particular country, in this case China.

So Covid-19 means Corona Virus Disease 2019.

We live in the era of political correctness, it should not be forgotten... . It was not the same thing at the time of the Spanish flu. 😉

• Like 1

15 hours ago, still_shameless said:

Also it's not an influenza virus.

While both Coronavirus and Influenza are  both RNA Virus types they are not the same family.

Coronavirus is subfamily Orthocoronavirinae, in the family Coronaviridae, order Nidovirales, and realm Riboviria.

Infuenza is family Orthomyxoviridae order Articulavirales and realm Riboviria

And while the symptoms are similar the viruses themselves are very different.  With the flu strains there are vaccines and ant-viral treatments available.  There are currently no commercially available vaccines or anti-viral treatments for any coronovirus strains.  But there has been extensive work on MERS and SARS that may help develop a vaccine for this strain in a more timely manner.

https://theconversation.com/when-will-there-be-a-coronavirus-vaccine-5-questions-answered-130590

For actually comparison points the "Common Cold" is actually a coronavirus HCoV-229E. 

• Like 1

There might not be problems getting into Thailand but if this gets rapidly out of hand then leaving might become an issue especially if they close all the ports down. Let's be honest, anything is possible.

Thailand will not ban people from leaving. No country has banned people from leaving.

my countrymen were taken out of the Wuhan quarantine 2 days after it was imposed.

I’m not worried.

8 hours ago, null said:

There might not be problems getting into Thailand but if this gets rapidly out of hand then leaving might become an issue especially if they close all the ports down. Let's be honest, anything is possible.

I doubt Thailand would clamp down on people leaving the way China did to Wuhan

Main thing to look out for would be whether your home country requires you to self-quarantine upon return