November 2021

Is it time to start posting a new travel date?  Is anyone else thinking about late November 2021?  A few things need to fall into place, but I think it's a possibility.  Thailand is not my only Asian destination, so other countries have to open back up for me, too.  

Airline tickets are very affordable.  I won't buy until Thailand opens up without quarantine.  I don't want to deal with the hassle of cancelled flights or the nightmare of an airline going bankrupt.  

I assume that getting vaccinated will be mandatory.  I don't think it will be a problem to find one in the next 9 months.

9 months is a long time and anything can happen.  Can Thailand vaccinate a decent percent of the population?  Will the vaccine work with the new strains of the virus?  Can the Thai people accept low levels of Covid without shutting everything down?  Does the tourism industry have the political power to push a reopening?   How much nightlife will be left if Thailand is shut down for another 9 months?  Will new people buy the old leases and open something new or will the spaces be vacant? 

• Like 1

I went ahead and booked a flight to BKK on November 23. I was able to use miles so there isn't much risk there. If I need to cancel because conditions aren't favorable for an easy trip, I will get the miles credited back to my account. 

I hope we are all able to travel with few, if any, restrictions by then. 

Wow that's brave to book for so far in advance when so much is unknown, but I understand the enthusiasm.  I would think that things will be opening up there by the summer, so October/November is what I am considering too, since I never go in rainy season.  It would have to be more or less open by then, I think

I think to plan travel for October / November is realistic but with some risk still involved.

That risk is cases of Covid 19 increase due to the increase in tourists into the country and also back into your own country.

In Australia we have a travel ban on leaving except under certain circumstances and there is arrival caps on return which has left 1,000's still stranded overseas.

On return we have to enter hotel quarantine for 14 nights and then there is the minefield of each state having their own rules.

I heard on the radio today even though vaccinations have started those entering Australia who are vaccinated will still need to enter hotel quarantine.

The travel ban is due to end around March 18th but I am positive it will be extended again for another 3 months after leaving it until mid June when we see the effects of vaccinations happening and when the outlook for the rest of the year will start to look clearer and hopefully more promising.

8 hours ago, smithzac91 said:

I went ahead and booked a flight to BKK on November 23. I was able to use miles so there isn't much risk there. If I need to cancel because conditions aren't favorable for an easy trip, I will get the miles credited back to my account. 

I hope we are all able to travel with few, if any, restrictions by then. 

I think booking more that 2 1/2 years in advance is being slightly overly cautious 😉

Smithzac91,  using miles sounds perfect.  I bet you got the best deal on them too.  I was worried that with fewer flight options prices would soar, but it hasn't been the case.  

Really, I'm in a waiting phase.  Flights and hotels can be booked a few weeks in advance.  November is the first real option for a business trip with a side trip to Bangkok.  April/May just isn't a realistic option.

Any quarantine is a no-go for me.  I'll even take overnight flights to save time.  I can't sit around trapped in a hotel for any amount of time.  

I think by November people will be eager to travel and Thailand will be ready to let tourist money come back in, but I could be wrong.

20 hours ago, elitebook2 said:

Smithzac91,  using miles sounds perfect.  I bet you got the best deal on them too.  I was worried that with fewer flight options prices would soar, but it hasn't been the case.  

Really, I'm in a waiting phase.  Flights and hotels can be booked a few weeks in advance.  November is the first real option for a business trip with a side trip to Bangkok.  April/May just isn't a realistic option.

Any quarantine is a no-go for me.  I'll even take overnight flights to save time.  I can't sit around trapped in a hotel for any amount of time.  

I think by November people will be eager to travel and Thailand will be ready to let tourist money come back in, but I could be wrong.

I agree. Quarantine will not work for me either. The miles were the same as they always are but the availability of flights on American's website surprised me. It's usually difficult for me to find a business class flight all the way from the US to BKK on the website using miles. I have to call and have an agent work it out. I guess I got lucky or maybe they are desperate for customers. 

I am going to wait to book hotel rooms for a few months. There are some good deals to be found if booked right now, but many of them don't include free cancellation. I am finding that if I choose free cancellation for Nov/Dec, the prices are close to the same as they have been in the past. I'll keep looking though. If the Four Points or Landmark come up with a good deal that has free cancellation I'll probably go ahead and book it. 

I think airlines are desperate for customers right now, but it's still way too early to pay money for them.  Anything can happen, but I still think that November is realistic for Thailand to be reopened and for vaccines to be available in farangland to paying customers.

• 1 month later...

I'm really hoping a NOV/DEC trip is possible but it will probably depend on getting a vaccine shot. Here the estimate is that it will be around August my agegroup (30-35) will be eligible for a shot.... hopefully....

I'm just debating when to make my reservations and bookings.

There's also the questions around how things will be on the ground. How open are hotels with bringing girls over to your room? What will be the situation with the girls or covid rules in general?

6 hours ago, Mrmojo said:

I'm really hoping a NOV/DEC trip is possible but it will probably depend on getting a vaccine shot. Here the estimate is that it will be around August my agegroup (30-35) will be eligible for a shot.... hopefully....

I'm just debating when to make my reservations and bookings.

There's also the questions around how things will be on the ground. How open are hotels with bringing girls over to your room? What will be the situation with the girls or covid rules in general?

I wouldn't be booking anything for November just yet mate, as Bangkok certainly won't be one of the sand box areas  

https://www.traveldailymedia.com/thailand-fully-reopen-to-tourists-in-january-2022-four-phase-reopening-rules/

19 hours ago, BlackIrishDude said:

I wouldn't be booking anything for November just yet mate, as Bangkok certainly won't be one of the sand box areas  

https://www.traveldailymedia.com/thailand-fully-reopen-to-tourists-in-january-2022-four-phase-reopening-rules/

Yeah I probably will be booking late September at the earliest. I definitely won't be booking until I know for certain that a long quarantine periode is still a thing. I'm probably going for a longer periode this time and want to travel around so that's also a consideration. I do want to have that freedom.

If that's not possible maybe early 2022 is a better option....