Centre Point - My choice for mid term stay in Bangkok

So during the years I have been trying a lot of hotels and airbnb's.

As you all know hotel prices in Thailand are quite low, but especially for those who stay around 2-3 months, a small apartment could be a better choice - and definitely cheaper.

At the same time, the idea of calling a maid twice a week, and still have to do some cleaning yourself (if you care about keeping your place in decent condition when you take a girl home), it's a no go for may people.

The obvious solution is serviced apartments. This time I tried a couple of aparthotels of Centre Point chain and I'm not disappointed.

The rooms are basic, so even if you find a 5 star (grande centre point), don't expect luxury. I wouldn't consider a basic room here. But I find their one bedroom suite amazing.

I love the idea of having a 80sqm apartment with a kitchen, a bathtub, washing machine, balcony, not worry about cleaning, in room dining when I want, and pay slightly more than renting a similar condo on airbnb. 

At this time I'm checking prices in their locations (Asok, Thong Lo etc) and they all are much cheaper than the competition.

But the city is big and there must be alternatives.

Have you ever tried a service apartment in BKK?

definitely coming to BKK end of year (if COVID is ok ofc) and I did some research and I think airbnb would be best. 700-1500 per month. maybe you get a cleaning lady it cant be that much money. and you have your own place where you can bring company. at least that is how I see it.

The thing that gives me trouble is the location. I was looking around Nana just because of proximity to all the fun. what is your opinion ?

20 hours ago, keltix said:

definitely coming to BKK end of year (if COVID is ok ofc) and I did some research and I think airbnb would be best. 700-1500 per month. maybe you get a cleaning lady it cant be that much money. and you have your own place where you can bring company. at least that is how I see it.

The thing that gives me trouble is the location. I was looking around Nana just because of proximity to all the fun. what is your opinion ?

That's a very broad budget, with 700 (dollars?) you could get an "ok" place not too far from the action. If you care about staying in a nicer building and close to the Suk it's gonna be closer to the 1000 (at least in my experience, maybe booking early it's gonna be cheaper, I don't know)

There are a couple things I don't particularly like with airbnb:

- You don't really know how you like your apartment till you get there, and most of them don't show the exact location... but maybe you can ask

- My apartment will be a mess the day after they clean it. Plus some girls lose hair everywhere, or leave stains on the sheets.

- technically the owner should file a TM30, useful if you are on a tourist visa and want to extend it

• Like 1

On 3/2/2021 at 1:28 AM, alexstardust said:

The obvious solution is serviced apartments.

I'd like to explore that option too. What sites do you use to search for all serviced apartments in a particular area, with reviews?  

I like the idea of a condo or apartment instead of a hotel in Bangkok even for a short stay. I have never used AirBnB before but I have looked at the site and tried to figure things out. I get a little confused and find it hard to understand why most places just don't tell you the name of the building so that you can map it out and determine if the place is right for your stay. No big deal. 

I have always used only a condo in Pattaya and only a hotel in Bangkok. I like the sense of freedom that a condo brings moreso than a hotel. I would be interested in more details about serviced apartments too as it seems like you get the best of both worlds. 

• 2 months later...
On 3/3/2021 at 8:31 PM, alexstardust said:

That's a very broad budget, with 700 (dollars?) you could get an "ok" place not too far from the action. If you care about staying in a nicer building and close to the Suk it's gonna be closer to the 1000 (at least in my experience, maybe booking early it's gonna be cheaper, I don't know)

There are a couple things I don't particularly like with airbnb:

- You don't really know how you like your apartment till you get there, and most of them don't show the exact location... but maybe you can ask

- My apartment will be a mess the day after they clean it. Plus some girls lose hair everywhere, or leave stains on the sheets.

- technically the owner should file a TM30, useful if you are on a tourist visa and want to extend it

A good option for a middle ground solution is long term rental option with (bigger) hotels. Shama Sukhumvit is in the middle of the action (entrance to soi 2 and 4, close to Nana) and a great hotel with a minimal one bedroom suite as an option. Stayed here in the past and it was great for me. Nice kitchen, washer in the room, balcony and not (totally) outdated.

They, at the moment, quote 45.000 baht for a 1 month rental. I got this offer 2 weeks ago so I think this will be valid for the coming months (will probably be until tourism is back in full swing)

Conditions:

· The above rates are net inclusive of 10% service charged and 7% government tax.   

· Utilities with *Electricity and water supply Allowance as unlimited

· Maid Service (Monday, Wednesday and Friday)

· Linen changing 2 times / week

· Complimentary Wi-Fi internet access throughout hotel.

· Complimentary access to pool and fitness center.

· Cable TV with international program

· 1 parking space

· Fully furnished  and equipped kitchen with washing machine.

A lot of hotels offer these kind of long term rental offers so it's an option available. It's probably a little bit more expensive then a Airbnb but with the added bonus of hotel services and the knowledge of what your getting for the price and location. So maybe for the right deal and price it's a option worth exploring. 

Airbnb is really hit of miss and, I guess, only a option if you staying for +30 days. Plus, for me personally, I will always questions beforehand if the property management/security will be girlfriendly.

Interesting topic, just looked into this now, because maybe airbnb, serviced appt or hotel for "longstay" might be one of my options.

When I read the price above, 45.000 baht..it might be worth to consider Majestic Grande in Soi 2. The name is changed into Hilton.

I stayed there a couple of times, and one time I stayed a full month for 60.000 baht. This was including breakfast and ofcourse all the standards you usually get in hotels.

• 5 months later...

I am thinking of a two month stay and the idea of a serviced apartment in a nice area of town, preferably an expat section but not necessarily a tourist area within walking distance to a skytrain or metro stop.  Any suggestions or links to places would be appreciated.  Over on the Pattaya board there are lots of information on rental units both short and long term, but I have found nothing here.