My thoughts on Thai food

Back before the pandemic I used to travel back to my home country 2 - 3 times a year especially on long Thai holidays which means I'm probably one of the few who actually gets out of Thailand during Songkran. It's also a good time to go back and sample come of my home food.

Also back then me and my wife would most of the time eat out after work at restaurants or food courts but that was not possible anymore after the pandemic because they were all closed except for takeaway. And then our baby came along and even though  dine-in is now possible we just wouldn't want to risk our precious little one unmasked in an enclosed and crowded restaurant.

So our source of nutrition for most of the working days are the markets where we would buy the kap khao dishes to eat at home. The only thing we have to do ourselves is cooking the white rice. Only on weekends when we have more time we would be doing some cooking of our own.

This is my thoughts on Thai food:

1) There aren't much variety of vegetable dishes in the market. I swear I have seen so much luffa gourd sold I thought it should be the national vegetable of Thailand. There could be 2-3 stalls in a talad and they would all almost be selling this same luffa gourd dish. In fact I noticed 1 stall has been selling this same dish in every day for the past 2 years. I asked my wife why and she said the prices for a meat based dish and vegetable dish is the same so for a Thai person it seems more worthwhile to buy meat dishes instead. The other reason is vegetable dishes don't keep well so if the stall wasn't able to finish selling them they can't sell them the next day. This contrast meat based dishes where you can mix some leftovers with the new batch and it won't be noticeable to the customers. 

And why the obsession with luffa gourd? Well before cooking, the gourd itself keeps well without refrigeration unlike green leafy vegetables. So the stall can buy a whole bunch at a cheaper price, store them at room temperature and cook them daily. 

What about your thoughts?