Cannabis Laws to be eased

Just wondering what everyones opinions on this are, has anyone encountered any cannabis or the burgeoning cannabis industry yet?

In March this year I visited a shop in Sukhumvit that sold cannabis infused edibles without the THC and just the terpenes for taste which was interesting to see since we are told that cannabis in SE Asia is a death sentence and to avoid.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/2312666/cannabis-laws-to-be-eased-next-month

On 5/25/2022 at 2:28 PM, Father_Murtagh said:

Just wondering what everyones opinions on this are, has anyone encountered any cannabis or the burgeoning cannabis industry yet?

In March this year I visited a shop in Sukhumvit that sold cannabis infused edibles without the THC and just the terpenes for taste which was interesting to see since we are told that cannabis in SE Asia is a death sentence and to avoid.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/2312666/cannabis-laws-to-be-eased-next-month

To be honest, it's the typical Thai law thing. To much room for random interpretation possibilities, that includes police and other individuals. Also I am not an expert on this field, but I read that this category they allowed is more for industrial Hemp with very low THC.

I mean how hard is it to create a law that says: You can grow it at home and use it at home. Running around outside with it or selling it is not allowed.

No they come with categories and some what lax and open for misinterpretation on how and what is allowed.

What I mean with misinterpretation or to much room for the police. They put it in a category. So if an Officer is coming around and want's to check you, he can already make your live hard. "Oh this is over category 5, I can see that. You don't believe? Ok, you come to police and we send to a laboratory and let it check and you have to stay a few days OR you give me 10.000 THB and we forget about this"

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/26/2022 at 5:25 PM, expotbkk said:

I mean how hard is it to create a law that says: You can grow it at home and use it at home. Running around outside with it or selling it is not allowed.

While I have almost no understand what they did allow and no real curiosity to find out...

That kinda law didn't even really work in Alaska, where you had to grow it indoors.

And every house in Isaan that barely has walls with people probably putting plants on the berms between their rice fields letting it grow, basically wild if you let them? Ya, good luck with that...

(I wonder if cows get high from eating it?)

I have no problem with medicinal cannabis, nor even people smoking it at home.  Being from a state in the U.S. where it's fully legal, my nostrils are commonly assaulted by the smell of weed, and people have no problem smoking it in public (though that's technically illegal), often with children around.  Often I smell it coming out of cars in front of me as they drive around. 

Thailand has limited the initial strength of THC to a pretty low amount, which might be wise until Thai people learn what they are dealing with.  Seems a few people have been in hospital already. 

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/2326168/four-admitted-to-bangkok-hospitals-after-using-cannabis-one-dies

Dispensaries selling good quality flower have opened up all over the city.  They are selling for recreational use with no medical certificate needed.  As of right now, it has been effectively decriminalized.  Time will tell if that lasts.  However, the government is warning that smoking in public is an offense and you will be fined.

On 6/19/2022 at 12:45 PM, hbit said:

Dispensaries selling good quality flower have opened up all over the city.  They are selling for recreational use with no medical certificate needed.  As of right now, it has been effectively decriminalized.  Time will tell if that lasts.  However, the government is warning that smoking in public is an offense and you will be fined.

And that's the main problem why it's still not safe. In a country with a working law system, maybe, but not here. You smoke at home and go out for party. Now you have some random check from police and they see you are high. The let you piss and see you took drugs. No you explain them you did it at home and not outside. I think we all know how this could end.

• Like 1