First timer - location help.

I'll be in Bangkok next week. First time there and will be alone for the first 5 days so I need help with location. I'm not really into the nightlife scene/drinking, probably won't be doing that whilst alone. Will do tourist attractions, food, looking for a bike tour and just relaxing really (possible girl visitors) so hotel amenities are important.

Anyone recommendations on  a safe, tourist friendly area to be based in, 7 eleven and fast food within reach, and even a hotel with a decent gym/pool? Thanks in advance.

47 minutes ago, NanAtSOL said:

Sukhumvit Soi 22 is pretty good

This area is good even if you're not chasing girls. Yes, it's close to Soi Cowboy, but you have the Terminal 21 mall right there as well as the Asok BTS station, making it easy to grab a train to tourist areas near the river like Khao San Road, Chinatown and the Grand Palace and various temples. Really any hotel on or close to Sukhumvit is fine from Soi 2 to 22. Many big hotel chains are represented, so keep that in mind if you want to earn some hotel points.

Tourist tip: Take the BTS skytrain to Saphan Taksin Station, where you can transfer to a boat on the Chao Phraya River that take you to the temples Wat Arun, Wat Pho, The Grand Palace and the new mall Iconsiam.

• Like 2

Ideally like to spend £50 - £80 max a night. Any hotel recommendations with a decent fitness suite in the Sukhumvit/Terminal 21 mall area mentioned above? Loads of listings on Agoda, hard to decided. Cheers all, appreciate it. 

I tried Movenpick Soi 15 in April May. Usually I was staying in Pullman Asoke, but it was Hospitel in April, and little bit more expensive. But really one of the best fitness room. 

Movenpick was 2800 Thb (all taxes included). Nice fitness room. Nice pool on 8th floor. Roof top bar... and really close to Soi 11, SC, NEP, and girls/Guest friendly 

Close to Sukhumvit Rd. between Soi 4 and Soi 22.

The skytrain (BTS) follows Sukhumvit and the fastest way to get around Bangkok is transit. (traffic is horrible.)

Check google maps for how close anything is to one of the BTS stations in this area (Nana, Asoke Phrom Phong).

This area is maybe not so much "touristy" but very traveler friendly, where most of the nightlife catering to foreigners is, and full of hotels and restaurants (starbucks on every corner). (not "touristy", cause there's really no cultural sites....)

The area is commonly referred to as lower sukhumvit and is easy to shop for hotels on Agode or expedia.... There are major high end western brands (Sheraton, W, JW Marriott) and lower prices western brands (including a bunch of french brands I'm not to familiar with) and a whole bunch of smaller more independent locally owned buildings in this area (some very good deals)... 100's of hotels...

Always check recent reviews, most or these places have ups and downs, remodel every couple years,  change names, etc.

Yeah, there are so many great options.  Soi 11 has everything, I often stay at the Grand President, a little worn around the edges but big rooms and no questions if you want to bring someone over for the night. And cheaper than the big name places, Great pool, full staff, good concierges.  Soi 11 has lots of hotels, pubs, convenience stores, espresso places, groceries, bars, restaurants.  Easy walk to the Sky train.  Halfway between NEP and Soi Cowboy.  Not far fromTerminal 21 too.

• Like 2

If you are not into the nightlife I would suggest to stay between Asoke and Emporium shopping mall. 

The following are all decent/good 4 star hotels and cost around 2000 baht a night. 

Legacy suites in soi 29.

Holiday Inn sukhumvit/soi 22

Novotel soi 18

Double tree by Hilton in soi 26, just behind Emporium with many massage places at your doorstep 😏

Asoke is definitely the best location for your needs.  You have easy access to both the Skytrain and the MRT.  Terminal 21 is right there(it's an amazing food resource for Thai as well as other Asian food).  The whole area is tourist central so any services you need are right there.

• Like 1