JAY FAI BANGKOK (Crab Omelette etc., )

I am extremely curious as to if this place is worth the line-up and wait and all the hype that this particular restaurant has around it.

I saw on this Youtube video that you could have to wait for hours at a time to get seated, etc., does anyone have any experience having been here , Or is it something Netflix has made wildly famous.

It is good, but you can get just as good food at half the price elsewhere. Worth doing once though. And the waiting time won’t be as long at the moment. I went during covid and walked straight in.

• Like 1

Exactly what I thought, I decided to make a reservation through their email , so this is my personal feeling.

The restaurant has become a tourist attraction of sorts and to see Jay Fai wearing those goggles and going at it , I think thats a crowd puller, I found the food really really good. It was pricy for thai standards, but I guess you are paying for the brand.

I had a date with me and at the end of it she suggested that its just for the instagram and a one time experience. And there are other restaurants that could pretty much pull off the same thing, and like you said at half price

gf took me for my birthday.  she made reservations and we stepped out of the taxi and basically went straight to our table.  Jay Fai cooking was fun to watch, the food and people watching were very good as well.  because you need to make reservations well in advance or wait in line for hours i'm not likely to return but it was a great birthday surprise (especially when gf paid!).  10/10 great meal/BKK experience

• 2 weeks later...

I went there 4 years ago, a few months after she got her Michelin star, overall i have to say I was disappointed, probably the worst Michelin one star experience ever for me.

it was just chaos, long line (I don’t think they did reservation at the time), my friend and I waited a solid two hours, I wanted to leave 30 mins in but friend convinced me to stay.  When we finally got the food (yes it was pricy) I was starving and still didn’t enjoy it that much.  There were also a ton of people doing vlogs when I was there, I was a bit worried about being seen with my ‘friend’ lol

i had better dining experiences for much less, so I definitely won’t go

been a few times with reservations precovid so there was no real wait. the food is definitely really good but the price is high. i would say that you can get similar things for a lower price but they arent quite the same. i'll probably go back at some point or another. if you havent been id recommend you swing by if you can shoulder the cost, she wont be cooking forever.

On 6/15/2022 at 9:44 PM, tti said:

been a few times with reservations precovid so there was no real wait. the food is definitely really good but the price is high. i would say that you can get similar things for a lower price but they arent quite the same. i'll probably go back at some point or another. if you havent been id recommend you swing by if you can shoulder the cost, she wont be cooking forever.

I definitely agree , I think I would go back any day especially as long as I am a tourist to BKK, and while I was there I alos noticed that they might soon have her line in the 7-11's too, which is quite cool I think.

And on point, you never know how long she's going to be cooking for .

the 7-11 meals are essentially the same as celebrity chef meals on flights - theyre just involved in the process and it may be food that they wouldnt normally make. when i was in bkk last for an extended stay late last year i remember seeing ads for eggs that had her face on them but i doubt its the same one she uses at her own store. she had walk-in only earlier this year (maybe this month? dont remember) and a lot of locals eat there as well which is nice to see. hope you make it out there

Edited by tti

• 3 months later...
On 6/16/2022 at 10:44 AM, tti said:

Are there any specific alternative places that you'd recommend?  Jay Fai is already booked up for my dates, and I unfortunately won't be in town for long...

jay fai cannot be booked atm because the venue doesnt allow reservations and only has seats for walk-in  ...not sure where youve heard its already booked. as of recent theres a service run by some college students called hewtamsang (look them up on IG). people will literally wake up at whatever time it is, get a ticket, wait in line for you, and update you on progress, eta, etc so you never have to leave the comfort of your home until its time to eat. Cost is about 1000bhat per table reservation (seats upto 6?) i believe but is variable depending on what time you want to eat (peak dining times = cost more). if you have money and dont care id suggest this method, the alternative is to wake up god awful early and get a ticket and come abck (hoping you dont miss your number being called, otherwise you go straight to the back of the line which means you probably wont eat there that day)

otherwise I suggest Khao in Ekkamai if you want upscale thai food. they also have 1 michelin star and price is comparable. venue is nice and quite easy to get a table

Edited by tti

1 hour ago, tti said:

jay fai cannot be booked atm because the venue doesnt allow reservations and only has seats for walk-in  ...not sure where youve heard its already booked. as of recent theres a service run by some college students called hewtamsang (look them up on IG). people will literally wake up at whatever time it is, get a ticket, wait in line for you, and update you on progress, eta, etc so you never have to leave the comfort of your home until its time to eat. Cost is about 1000bhat per table reservation (seats upto 6?) i believe but is variable depending on what time you want to eat (peak dining times = cost more). if you have money and dont care id suggest this method, the alternative is to wake up god awful early and get a ticket and come abck (hoping you dont miss your number being called, otherwise you go straight to the back of the line which means you probably wont eat there that day)

otherwise I suggest Khao in Ekkamai if you want upscale thai food. they also have 1 michelin star and price is comparable. venue is nice and quite easy to get a table

Thank you!  I'll take a look at Khao instead.  I was looking at Chope for Jay Fai reservations. I guess they're not taking reservations (rather than being full as I assumed).  Regardless, waiting in line sounds like time better spent elsewhere!!

jayfai was never bookable on chope - when they took reservations it was all done manually via email chains. khao @ ekkamai has sister resturants like market cafe at the hyatt but the main resturant khao is the only one with the full menu. tons of unique dishes as well as a good portion of what you would find at Jay Fai. Only thing i think they may not have is the dry congee. They also have dessert which jay fai doesnt - the mochi strawberries and flan/orange sorbet is amazing. hope you make it out there.

Edited by tti