AIS, DTAC or True??

I personally use DTAC and true. In Bangkok it's good. Both sometimes have network problems (internet, not phone). This is what I heard from my Thai friends: If you only in cities, it doesn't matter that much. If you more in the rural areas, they all tell me that AIS has the best network there.

Maybe someone has more experience in this topic.

EDIT: Just a side note. If you not here for holidays and move in a condo or home and you want faster internet, then just wait before you buy something. Some providers have complimentary sim cards coming with your internet (that's why I have true for example)

Edited by expotbkk

I have True and staying in bangkok I didnt have any problem with internet speed etc I guess in big cities doesnt matter much which provider... Only small problem i had with true is that i was recieving a lot of shitty comercial SMS in thai... luckly some girl helped me to not recieve them anymore and since then all good.

Before Covid i had some AIS tourist SIM and also worked perfectly...

Which is the easiest for non-Thai-speakers to manage?  I've heard people mention that DTAC has an app.  Do the other companies have apps or easily navigable websites?

I'm not likely to stray from the major cities, so I'm assuming service will be roughly the same.  But I would like to get one that's easier to figure out without having to enlist the help of a Thai-speaker since I'm planning on keeping a single SIM around for the future.

55 minutes ago, Richmond72 said:

Which is the easiest for non-Thai-speakers to manage?  I've heard people mention that DTAC has an app.  Do the other companies have apps or easily navigable websites?

I'm not likely to stray from the major cities, so I'm assuming service will be roughly the same.  But I would like to get one that's easier to figure out without having to enlist the help of a Thai-speaker since I'm planning on keeping a single SIM around for the future.

As a tourist you mostly get a prepaid contract for a few days/weeks. The DTAC app is nice to charge your sim and extend it's lifetime. For everything else it has no use (IMHO). You can only see your usage and a lot of commercial/upsales. It has some member level stuff (based on time and how much you spent for DTAC) and promotions.

True has a lot of apps. In the beginning it's very confusing. I needed two apps for verification and sometimes they are really buggy (and I mean really really buggy). You can also charge and pay your bills there (true id).

5 hours ago, tangman said:

I absolutely despise true. I never received more spam than when I had them. No problems with DTAC or AIS. 

I get spam from them all. At least I get a message every day of any of them. Sometimes I get up to 5 from true/DTAC

On 6/15/2022 at 4:22 PM, expotbkk said:

I get spam from them all. At least I get a message every day of any of them. Sometimes I get up to 5 from true/DTAC

That's weird. I've used AIS for my last 4-5 trips and I don't think I've ever received any spam messages.

On 6/19/2022 at 5:59 AM, tangman said:

That's weird. I've used AIS for my last 4-5 trips and I don't think I've ever received any spam messages.

I only know about true and dtac. Like I said before, many Thai like AIS. Maybe that's a reason too.

For me the messages have also massively increased since covid and you have to leave your phone number where ever you go. So it's pretty sure some places sold it or random people came and just took a picture of the book and sold it.

• 1 year later...

I use AIS and I’ve never had a a problem in Bangkok and Pattaya. I have a prepaid mobile which I’ve kept over a couple of years. They have very good promotions during my stay and often top up at good prices. The app is very easy to use and topping up is a cinch. and more importantly, the data speeds are outstanding.

Like AIS too, got the app setup and just topup from there.

What I was wondering: sometimes I have like half a year between visits and my sim expires and I need to get a new one. Not too much of a problem but one I could go without. Is there a way to keep you number "alive" from abroad?