Gonna be in Thailand for 32 days

Samf

I’m an US citizen, was planning to do a side trip to Vietnam/PP or get the extension after I land, but someone on a different thread said airline might not let you on the plane to go to LoS if you don’t have a visa, which kinda worries me.

so a couple of questions, has anyone ever heard of problems with Singapore airlines on this front?  And what’s the best way to deal with this?  I wasn’t planning to buy a ticket to Vietnam/PP until I get to Thailand and decide what to do, but should I just buy tickets in case I get questioned by Thai immigration or Singapore airline?

thanks

5 minutes ago, Samf said:

I’m an US citizen, was planning to do a side trip to Vietnam/PP or get the extension after I land, but someone on a different thread said airline might not let you on the plane to go to LoS if you don’t have a visa, which kinda worries me.

so a couple of questions, has anyone ever heard of problems with Singapore airlines on this front?  And what’s the best way to deal with this?  I wasn’t planning to buy a ticket to Vietnam/PP until I get to Thailand and decide what to do, but should I just buy tickets in case I get questioned by Thai immigration or Singapore airline?

thanks

You do not need a visa if you have a US Passport.

You get 30 days visa exemption upon arrival.

If you do your side trip to Vietnam you will need a visa for Vietnam.

You do not need a visa for Philippines.

9 minutes ago, LASportsNut said:

You do not need a visa if you have a US Passport.

You get 30 days visa exemption upon arrival.

If you do your side trip to Vietnam you will need a visa for Vietnam.

You do not need a visa for Philippines.

Thanks, PP is Phnom Penh btw.  Im aware of these things and was thinking to do the Vietnam visa pre approval in Thailand if I decide to go, or get an extension if I decide to stay, but I’m worried about Singapore airlines telling me I can’t get on the plane to Thailand since my return is 32 days out, as one BM suggested could happen, have you heard of anything like that?

Airlines are typically on the hook to remove anyone getting off their flights that immigrations doesn't allow entry. (or they get fined, sometimes maybe both).  So, ya, they might pick up on that.

Immigrations sometimes wants to know when you're leaving and see proof. I forget if I've ever had to show a confirmation number or anything before. Years ago, when paper tickets were the thing, you'd often have to show them.  They'll see over 30 days...

If you can get refundable tickets, or decided to commit to the side trip, having that handy, some proof of purchased travel leaving Thailand before 30 days, would probably help... Or, it might just not be an issue...

If you ignore the issue and just overstay, you will at least be fined leaving. maybe more consequence (banned from returning?).  I don't think the fine is much, banned would sure suck.

Edited by little_me

A few years ago I flew Qatar into Bangkok with the return flight about 90 days later (Atlanta) no questions from anyone at Immigration....during that 90 days I entered Laos for 3 or 4 days and later flew to Manila (RT) with no questions asked by ANY Immigration or airline ticket counters. Probably Nov 2019 with a return in Feb 2020....