Gold chain stolen right off tourist neck

I wear pretty light weight pants or shorts, and have felt them going after my wallet before.

Usually a ladyboy, but be especially aware around kids, last time I was there a little gang of them were hanging around Sukhumvit and Asoke, by Soi Cowboy, little girl would try and lift wallets for people waiting to cross.

The Ladyboys will grab your junk and rub you all over to try and distract you.  Sometimes in teams.

And, Thai people generally take much better care of there kids than let them wander the corner like this, I've wondered why police haven't gotten involved. But when you see them in an area like that after dark, be aware.

• Like 1

I've always heard the stories of pick pockets and Ladyboys working together to steal stuff but I thought this rarely happens and you have to be an idiot for something like this to happen. This was a bit of a eye opener for me as it looks like it happening right on Sukhumvit.

16 hours ago, Primusthai said:

I've always heard the stories of pick pockets and Ladyboys working together to steal stuff

They're not working together, the Ladyboys are the pickpockets.

Late one night at the mouth of soi 8 I had a drugged out ladyboy who looked like she had terminal AIDS come stumbling towards me, fumbling as she tried to pull a knife out of her handbag.  I just walked off quickly, but you've got to be on your guard around some of the more degenerate streetwalkers. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, little_me said:

I wear pretty light weight pants or shorts, and have felt them going after my wallet before.

Usually a ladyboy, but be especially aware around kids, last time I was there a little gang of them were hanging around Sukhumvit and Asoke, by Soi Cowboy, little girl would try and lift wallets for people waiting to cross.

The Ladyboys will grab your junk and rub you all over to try and distract you.  Sometimes in teams.

And, Thai people generally take much better care of there kids than let them wander the corner like this, I've wondered why police haven't gotten involved. But when you see them in an area like that after dark, be aware.

So have I. It occurred in a packed baht bus in Pattaya. Pretty soon it was just me, the LB and a farang guy with a Thai chick sitting across from me. The baht bus took a turn and the LB slid across the bench right up against me and I immediately saw he/she was grabbing for my wallet. Grabbed his hand and slammed him up against the wall of the compartment, he looked shocked and pressed the buzzer and jumped off the bus. The couple across from me looked shocked and the girl said I should go back to hotel and change clothes to look different in case anybody would look for me.  Took her advice and did, lol. 

23 hours ago, buddyedgewood said:

You'd think that word would spread to not wear expensive jewelry, but I guess some people won't listen anyways.

I never wear any jewelry when I'm out and about, and the only things I carry in my back pockets are condoms.

The thing with the Asian culture is that jewellery is a big part of their lives especially the women, it shows status etc., Chain snatching also happens to be a very common criminal activity especially in South east asia, since it is easy to get rid of it quickly as well.

That being said, just assume that being a foreigner in Thailand, you are a moving target haha.

• 1 year later...