What vaccines should I get for Thailand?

solun

Japanese encephalitis is extremely rare but if you get it you basically die, so it's up to your risk tolerance.  Personally I don't get it because I stick to the city, but I've been told by a doctor that if you're planning on going to any jungle areas you should get it.

Rabies is a good idea because of all the soi dogs and other wildlife wandering around.  It's a multi dose vaccine so you have to plan ahead.

Typhoid is a good idea because of flooding and sewerage / food sanitation issues.

All the hepatitis vaccines are a good idea if you're doing P4P.

You might want to look into boosters for tetanus, whooping cough and polio if you haven't had them for a while.

Don't get a dengue fever vaccine unless you've had dengue before.  Risk of dengue in a city is tiny anyway.

9 hours ago, FunkMaster said:

Risk of dengue in a city is tiny anyway.

Actually Dengue is more common in urban areas than rural areas. Population density is a risk factor. The transmission train is human->mosquito->human so put a bunch of people together and add some mosquitoes and it spreads.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/31/2022 at 1:58 AM, FunkMaster said:

Japanese encephalitis is extremely rare but if you get it you basically die, so it's up to your risk tolerance. 

I just did some research, it seems 1 in 250 cases develop symptoms more severe than that of the flu, where it spreads to the brain, at which point 1 out 3 patients die. I wouldn't get vaccined after seeing these stats, personally.