Arsenal Thread for BKK Addicts

Jaco2

Calling all Gooner Addicts (and those who support other teams who have an opinion)!

What do you think about Arsenal's prospects for the season? Is the 6-1 win over Everton a sign of things to come or a one-off? Will Cesc Fabregas stay? Who do we need to buy to strengthen the squad?

Let's have your views!!

Edited by Jaco2

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a side bet (with myself) how lomg it would take for you to start this.

My opinion

Whatever he/they say about building a young team (and Heaven knows its been the excuse for years now) no team can lose 2 and gain 1 season after season and stay up with the big boys. I wasnt bothered about Ade leaving, prefer VP anyway, but you cant keep selling more than you buy or one day the pot goes dry.

Had Rosicky got fit I would have felt better.

Have to admit I felt MUCH better after the win at Everton, 6-1 away anywhere is impressive.

Probably shouldn't feel gloomy but I still do and predict a scrap for 4th with Villa and maybe even the Spuds at best. Hope I am wrong.

Still fancy Liverpool this year despite their opener - they just seem to have the best on paper all round.

I had a side bet (with myself) how lomg it would take for you to start this.

My opinion

Whatever he/they say about building a young team (and heaven knows its been the excuse for years now) no team can lose 2 and gain 1 season after season and stay up with the big boys. I wasnt bothered about Ade leaving, prefer VP anyway, but you cant keep selling more than you buy or one day the pot goes dry.

Had Rosicky got fit I would have felt better.

Have to admit I felt MUCH better after the win at Everton, 6-1 away anywhere is impressive.

Probably shouldn't feel gloomy but I still do and predict a scrap for 4th with Villa and maybe even the Spuds at best. Hope I am wrong.

Still fancy Liverpool this year despite their opener - they just seem to have the best on paper all round.

5555555555!!

Spidey:

Am I THAT predictable? 555!!!

Anyway, we Gooners always have an opinion on our team and IMHO are usually better informed and less biased (unless we're on a wind-up or taking the p**s out of the Spuds!!) than most.

Re: challenging for 4th spot, I agree that Villa and Everton will be in the mix and if Spurs can get their squad to gel, then they should be thereabouts. I don't read too much into the 6-1 win over Everton - it's all good for the goal difference and at the end of the day, it's just 3 pts for the win if you win 1-0 or 6-1. But it's a great start for us, good for our confidence - simply and a bad day at the office for Everton, who will improve. I think we can catch Liverpool for 3rd place now Alonso's gone (and if we can get the players we need - see below). Rafa will over-tinker with the team now Rick Parry is gone and mess it up. Chelsea are my bet for Champs in 2009-10.

Re: Man City I think the jury is out. If Mark Hughes (and it's a BIG 'if') can get all of their new signings to work then they may also be in the mix for 4th spot. My view that it's a year early to be talking about City for the Champions League and he'll be out of work by Xmas/early New Year. The manager they really want is Mourinho but he has his sights on taking over at ManUre when Sir Alex retires.

Re: Rosicky (and to a lesser extent, Eduardo) both of them are fit but after so long out, but they're both getting minor muscle injuries. It'll be another 4-6 weeks before they're both firing on all cylinders, provided they don't get any major knocks. Our squad is still a bit thin - IMHO we're still short at the back for another quality centre back as cover, a quality defensive central midfielder and a true out-and-out striker to replace Ade. I agree that Ade's time was up and it was time for him to leave but I was very disappointed to see Kolo go. But Tomas Vermaelen looked top class in his 1st game so maybe Kolo departure will be felt less. With Ade gone, Bendtner must step up to the plate.

What do you think about our chances against the mighty Celts tomorrow? At Parkhead, they are a match for anyone in Europe........ I think we'll get a 1-1 or 2-2 draw and then finish the job at the The Grove. What's your view?

Champions League:

Celtic 0 - Arsenal 2

Two lucky goals for the Gooners but we were the better team overall ....... Discuss!

Champions League:

Celtic 0 - Arsenal 2

Two lucky goals for the Gooners but we were the better team overall ....... Discuss!

Re Celtic

Always expected to win the tie but yes tough to win up there so was hoping for an away goal more than anything. Two very lucky goals, one as freaky as you will ever see - a player scoring who is actually making every effort NOT to touch the ball. Rather predictably I will happily settle for it, we were fortunate but kept a clean sheet regardless of the lucky goals.

On your other points.

I think Manure will win the Prem'. No team can be as good as before after losing the worlds best player(?) but I still think they are stronger than the others. Europe I think is where the loss will hit them with a few tight games in the offing. Bad injury situation now but first team should be good enough to win Prem - even if the injuries hurt them early on, just remember their start to last season.

Chelsea - 2nd in Prem but I think will do better than Manure in Europe. The team just doesnt do it for me, indeed hasn't since they got rid of "special one" - a decision I bet Abramovich and Peter the slimeball privately regret. For me Essien is the most complete player in the world, any manager would want him but maybe not every fan as his forte is as a jack of all trades and you need to be a stats freak to really appreciate all he does.

Here is how I see them. Probably the best back 4/5 in the world. Actually change that to definitely. Strikers, well no real issues there, Drogba on his day is up there and if Shevchenko continues his pre-season form he could be back up there too.

So where is the issue? After all they have an abundance of talent in midfield but it often just doesn't seem to work somehow. I know its a cliche but Essien and Mikel cant play together. They can of course but they are so similar they lose something on the flair front. With the quality of the back 4/5 Chelsea should be all out forward movement in midfield - but they are not.

Liverpool - maybe the surprise package. Hadn't thought about Rafa being the new tinkerman and if Torres gets injured they will not be the same. IMO need to decide if Kuyt's a striker or a midfielder and maybe play Voronin (if he is still there and not loaned out again). Benayoun and Lucas are classy but lightweight, both pull out of more tackles than a girly in a Sunday pub team. If Mascherano gets isolated poor old Jamie's old legs are going to have to work extra hard.

Many City - this jury already decided. Loads a Money (spent) but on what??? Gareth Barry is solid but he's not exactly world class. I feel a lot of money was actually spent on very little and will be surprised if they are top 5.

If you want a discussion point - Bendtner played midfield at the Toffees and actually did rather well despite being a little clumsy at times. Maybe thats Arsene's plan with VP and Arshavin up front. Remember Arshavin is touted as "winger" blah blah but plays pretty much as an out and out striker in the Russian national side.

Re Celtic

Always expected to win the tie but yes tough to win up there so was hoping for an away goal more than anything. Two very lucky goals, one as freaky as you will ever see - a player scoring who is actually making every effort NOT to touch the ball. Rather predictably I will happily settle for it, we were fortunate but kept a clean sheet regardless of the lucky goals.

On your other points.

I think Manure will win the Prem'. No team can be as good as before after losing the worlds best player(?) but I still think they are stronger than the others. Europe I think is where the loss will hit them with a few tight games in the offing. Bad injury situation now but first team should be good enough to win Prem - even if the injuries hurt them early on, just remember their start to last season.

Chelsea - 2nd in Prem but I think will do better than Manure in Europe. The team just doesnt do it for me, indeed hasn't since they got rid of "special one" - a decision I bet Abramovich and Peter the slimeball privately regret. For me Essien is the most complete player in the world, any manager would want him but maybe not every fan as his forte is as a jack of all trades and you need to be a stats freak to really appreciate all he does.

Here is how I see them. Probably the best back 4/5 in the world. Actually change that to definitely. Strikers, well no real issues there, Drogba on his day is up there and if Shevchenko continues his pre-season form he could be back up there too.

So where is the issue? After all they have an abundance of talent in midfield but it often just doesn't seem to work somehow. I know its a cliche but Essien and Mikel cant play together. They can of course but they are so similar they lose something on the flair front. With the quality of the back 4/5 Chelsea should be all out forward movement in midfield - but they are not.

Liverpool - maybe the surprise package. Hadn't thought about Rafa being the new tinkerman and if Torres gets injured they will not be the same. IMO need to decide if Kuyt's a striker or a midfielder and maybe play Voronin (if he is still there and not loaned out again). Benayoun and Lucas are classy but lightweight, both pull out of more tackles than a girly in a Sunday pub team. If Mascherano gets isolated poor old Jamie's old legs are going to have to work extra hard.

Many City - this jury already decided. Loads a Money (spent) but on what??? Gareth Barry is solid but he's not exactly world class. I feel a lot of money was actually spent on very little and will be surprised if they are top 5.

If you want a discussion point - Bendtner played midfield at the Toffees and actually did rather well despite being a little clumsy at times. Maybe thats Arsene's plan with VP and Arshavin up front. Remember Arshavin is touted as "winger" blah blah but plays pretty much as an out and out striker in the Russian national side.

Celtic seemed to lose their way and once the 2nd goal went in, their heads visibly dropped. Wenger seems to have given the boys their heads this term and they're responding like men. Even the likes of Denilson and Song seem to have grown up a bit during the summer. The Adebeyor, Toure & Eboue axis needed breaking up. The other lads like the young Song needed leadership. If Eboue follows Ade and Toure (who I was sorry to see leave) out the door then that's great. Eboue has long needed to be shown his P45. I think it'll be Chelscum's year for the Prem. We're still short of that defensive midfielder (I'm annoyed at Wenger letting Lorik Cana be snapped up by Sunderland for a measly £5m - unless he knows something about the player we don't). Cana would have been perfect for us. We also need a centre-half to cover for Gallas and Vermaelen who looks top class as you'd expect from an ex-Ajax player.

Re: Arsene's plan with RVP and Arshavin I think you're right. Eduardo? We'll see.

well it aint looking so bad so far :)

Probably another classic case that we will be caught short in the long run if in 3/4 competitions - nothing new in that though :D

Saturday's game v ManUre will be an acid test - I'm hoping it's a 1-1 draw but ManUre will be determined to prove a point after the Burnley debacle and turn us over! Any predictions from you Spidey?

Saturday's game v ManUre will be an acid test - I'm hoping it's a 1-1 draw but ManUre will be determined to prove a point after the Burnley debacle and turn us over! Any predictions from you Spidey?

Yeah I predict 2-1 to Manure and I have £500 on it at 4/1 with you for correct score. If I am right you owe me £2000 and if I am wrong I owe you £500.

As I a feeling in the mood I will have a further £500 on Arsenal scoring first and another £500 on Looney scoring a penalty.

I will accept payment in bar fines if you do likewise.

:D

Yeah I predict 2-1 to Manure and I have £500 on it at 4/1 with you for correct score. If I am right you owe me £2000 and if I am wrong I owe you £500.

As I a feeling in the mood I will have a further £500 on Arsenal scoring first and another £500 on Looney scoring a penalty.

I will accept payment in bar fines if you do likewise.

:D

Funny enough, I was going to offer you the same deal after a night to sleep on my original prediction! 2-1 to Manure plus a side bet on Arsenal getting a penalty disallowed and one of our players diving!! 555!!!

Seriously, it was a bad day at the office for us. We didn't deserve to lose.

• 2 weeks later...

HI Guys

Fellow Gooner here too.

Man City next! another test, one I feel we should get something out of if we are to finish top 4.

Still think over the season we are going to be a bit light in quality cover, but I hope I am wrong! :P