Best Pizzas

Is there any pizza place that does a true woodfired pizza? I have a preference for really good Italian style pizza.

Not the typical gas ovens that most restaurants use.

I have to stop by Giusto in June when I go there. They seem to have some really interesting menu selections. Thanks for that post.

There's a really good Italian in Convent Road, just off Silom Road near Saladaeng BTS. It's just by Molly Malones (Irish Exchange) and on the corner opposite the Swiss Lodge Hotel.

I've had the Calzone in there and it's as good as any I've had in Europe, sadly it's name escapes me at the moment and not sure how they cook, but the food has always been good.

• 1 month later...

There's a really good Italian in Convent Road, just off Silom Road near Saladaeng BTS. It's just by Molly Malones (Irish Exchange) and on the corner opposite the Swiss Lodge Hotel.

I've had the Calzone in there and it's as good as any I've had in Europe, sadly it's name escapes me at the moment and not sure how they cook, but the food has always been good.

I've been planning on hitting that joint as well, but there's this cutie at the pizza place across the street that keeps drawing me in. Not entirely across the street, but if Molly's is behind you it's across and to the right a bit. The pizza slices in the window for 45B are shite and to be avoided. But if you go inside and get a pie it's 199 for a tasty thin crust. Dunno why there's the difference.

Had one tonight and note to the wise: the upstairs is quite stylish and well worth bringing a couple of friends along. I had a chat with the manager and feel bad for the whole area. The protests are just killing some of the businesses.

GDT

• 3 weeks later...

I've been planning on hitting that joint as well, but there's this cutie at the pizza place across the street that keeps drawing me in. Not entirely across the street, but if Molly's is behind you it's across and to the right a bit. The pizza slices in the window for 45B are shite and to be avoided. But if you go inside and get a pie it's 199 for a tasty thin crust. Dunno why there's the difference.

Had one tonight and note to the wise: the upstairs is quite stylish and well worth bringing a couple of friends along. I had a chat with the manager and feel bad for the whole area. The protests are just killing some of the businesses.

GDT

I think that place has changed, it used to be a French cafe type place when I lived in Silom.

I actually worked in Convent Road at the other end from Mollys. Lived in Sathorn Road at Fraser Suites.

Miss Mollys, but also spent a lot of time in the Duke of Wellington further down Silom Road. Got a message from O'Reillys recently regarding the trouble, hope you and everyone stay safe. Have kept in contact with Thai colleagues and to date they've been ok.

• 4 months later...

Probably Via Vai - not a bad italian type pie.

I must say I was disapointed the first time I ordered from them. I had a flier that showed pizza without the really thin crust typical of an Italian style pizza. This is not to say the pizza was bad - just not what I had expected based upon the flier.

Vai Vai has the best Pizza that I have ever tasted. But that is in Koh Samui. The Soi 8 branch doesn't even come close. It is perhaps that the owners live in Samui.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

... a couple of new entries to BKK's wealth of pizzarias:

• Pizzaeli Pizzaria ... opened a couple of months ago ... pretty darn good pizza, and a great value (maybe best in BKK) .... big pizza ... an honest, full 18" thin crust pizza, with no skimping .. the 'base' pizza (Marguerita) is THB 240, to which you add ingredients (meats at THB 80, and veggies at THB 60) ... all imported ingredients ... no wood-fired oven, but a gas oven which has a stone cook surface which apparently gives the crust the desired effect ... thin veneer of crisp on the bottom surface only, yet still has a chewy 'pull' to it through the body of the crust ... about 400m into Soi 22 from Sukhumvit, on the right-hand side, in a shop house just past the convenience store (a 7-11, I think) located at Saintamthip Soi 1 ... foreign-owned ... +66 2 259 5080 ... (see full review elsewhere in this 'Restaurants, Places to Eat' thread).

• Domino's Pizza ... opened January 2013 ... okay ... a good pizza, but way, waaay overpriced ... their large pizza can be eaten by one moderately hungry guy, no sweat, and is inadequate for two ... we left, and I was still hungry (as though i just had the diet special), and feeling as if my wallet had been picked, after what we paid ... a huge assembly line of machinery is used to make these ... (maybe good for high volume and efficiency, but I sort of think it will end up being underutilized) ... forgot the prices (since I will not return), but it struck me as no different than what you would pay in the US ... Domino's is one of the original American pizza franchises, specializing in delivery (look for more of these in Thailand) ... located in the new 'Domino's Building' located at the intersection of Sukhumvit and Soi 22 (it is actually a Holiday Inn Hotel, but you would never know it by the dominance of the building owner's restaurants out front ... the Holiday Inn guy who did this deal should be fired) ... Domino's is worth a try, if you are curiious, but I believe the franchisee has by a far measure overstepped the market reach for what this is, and will not sustain unless he drops his rent (he also owns the building).

Edited by brutox

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...