Checkinn99 - bar & live music on Sukhumvit bw 5&7

Would you walk down Checkinn's small alley?  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Checkinn99 has a small alley entrance - been inside?

• Best Kept Secret entertainment - been there already
    • Bit dubious.. .but would only look inside for curiousity
    • Looks too seedy...but would only go in with a friend!

Found this great live band / restuarant. Just 15 - 20 metres up from the corner of Soi 5 and halfway to Soi7 (opposite Landmark Hotel) is Checkin99 -sort of a wierd mix of old style night club / cosy bar / dancing. But they have Great steaks - reasonable prices. .. Decore looks like it is out of a time capsule from the 1970s... some of the staff have worked there for over 30 years.. waiters with bow ties. Inside is like Ricks Bar from Casblanca!! It even has waterfalls, stork statues and old style plaster parrots on the walls! The best part of this place is the incredible Philippine girl band that do almost non-stop Caberet style entertainment from about 8pm to 1.30am every night are both gorgeous and immensely talented. They sing anything... all the oldies, rock and in between - and an amazing array of Aussie rock (new Oz owner)! for the Aussies - they sing everything from Skyhooks, LRB., INXS, Australian Crawl, Cold Chisel, Daddy Cool, Men at Work ACDC Midnight Oil...It is totally "Wife and couple" friendly (not a girlie bar - but many good looking hostesses who will join your table only if asked and make sure the singlies have company...they are great with single expat women and making sure everyone is up and dancing) it is a real oasis for good no-hassles entertainment in that area... plenty of dancing.. or just watching the band. Can't imagine that I have walked past so many times and not gone down that ally!! not much they can do with the small entrance but still a great place... and a real "best kept secret" of Bangkok night life.

post-6504-0-00793600-1320478237.jpg

Found this great live band / restuarant. Just 15 - 20 metres up from the corner of Soi 5 and halfway to Soi7 (opposite Landmark Hotel) is Checkin99 -sort of a wierd mix of old style night club / cosy bar / dancing. Great steaks.. Decore looks like it is out of a time capsule from the 1970s... some of the staff have worked there for over 30 years. The incredible Philippine girl band do almost nom-stop Caberet style entertainment from about 8pm to 1.30am every night are both gorgeous and immensely talented. They sing anything all the oldies, rock and in between - and an amazing array of Aussie rock (new Oz owner)! for the Aussies - they sing everything from Skyhooks, LRB., INXS, Australian Crawl, Cold Chisel, Daddy Cool, Men at Work ACDC Midnight Oil...Wife and couple friendly (not a girlie bar - but many hostesses who will join your table if asked) and a real oasis for good entertainment in that area... plenty of dancing. Can't imagine that I have walked past so many times and not gone down that ally!! great place... and a real best kept secret of Bangkok night life.

Just what me and my Girl like I will check it out next week.

Many Thanks

Thanks for the tip, will be in BKK in 10 days and give this a try. like u, walked past this spot so many times in the past.

It is more like an old style Cabaret bar and steakhouse (without the cover charge!). I dont know other places like this in Bangkok where you can enjoy the entertainment for a full night... I am sure there are... but where?? They should try and make more signage at the front entrance..inside is great with old comfy seats.. and the band girls are awesome! Last week the place was full of couples trying to escape the razzamatazz of Sukhumvit! Lots of Aussies crying in their beers with the Australian rock the girls punch out.

what night(s) will you be in? I come over from Vietnam for my BKK R&R at the same time.

Yeah - last April - it got a new owner. agree the band really pump out a great night of entertainment... I can just sit there all night and watch them.. Those girls perform EVERY night now... just one day off a week - the rest of the time they are learning new songs and dance routines. Their aussie rock is awesome... they are planning an Aussie Rock caberet night on 3Dec. The place is very friendly for local or toursit couples...who want a good evening or dance. There seemed to be heaps of new hostesses there so the place must be doing well. Was full last Sunday night. I will be there next Saturday back from Vietnam!! yo!

Good news ! I read somewhere that they had closed down. Food's good. The Filipina Girl Singers are cute and cheesy-good. BF-ed 5 or 6 hotties outta there. They always had a midget out front for good luck. The hostesses had a classy air to 'em. Kinda like Soi 33. wj

\

Hi.WJ! I found a picture of the midgit on old William Morledges 2006 blog but still quite accurate - Checkin seems to have been round for ages.

http://www.bangkokeyes.com/2006may01.html

anyone got a later picture of the midget?post-6504-0-27012800-1321348379.jpg

• 2 months later...

Just what me and my Girl like I will check it out next week.

Many Thanks

they are better in the live session

• 1 month later...

Cattoc, are you the owner?

I like the place and have been a few times! I am in love with one of the band members!!

Anyway, always stopped in with a girl. How much is a bar fine? I was there this week and did not see any hostess under 40.

I don't think you can barfine there.

I don't think you can barfine there.

Yes - barfines are OK. The hostesses are older - as the younger ones were being left on the bench surprisingly. and yes am the owner.. in a parallel forum have sought ammends ;) - by putting on free flow heineken 9-10pm for BA posters who are there :D . also getting a sponsored ad in for BA.