safety in bangkok

Bangkok is the most capital dangerous city in the world ... unlike your own major cities where no one gets conned, overcharged, robbed or cheated. Please don't come here with all your money as there are enough of us here already and we can cope with all the street crime, danger and women without your help. 555

All cities have their bad sides ... But some places are more notorious for it than others.  Also, in the cities I have been to outside of Thailand, I've never seen a gem or jet ski scam.  Actions like these seem to be pervasive to Thailand.  Could it happen somewhere else?  Probably, but not as commonly which is why these types of scams get associated with Thailand and not other places.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Bangkok may not be one of the most dangerous cities in the world but their is certainly a level of street crime.  I have Thai friends who told me that they would never go walking down deserted streets or alleys at night. 

Pickpockets are certainly around.  Be careful in crowded places, along streets with street vendors stalls and so forth.

Don't carry more than you can afford to loose.  Never carry a bulging wallet.  Place something over your wallet to make it harder to reach.  A good idea to carry a few currency notes separately to your wallet just in case.  Just carry a photocopy of your passport.

Shorts and pants with jean type front pockets are safest.

I haven't lost a wallet in Bangkok but I was walking down one of the gogo bar strips, when I felt a woman's hand closed over my wallet.  She didn't get it and she took off when I reacted.  I was lucky because if she had been an experienced pickpocket I probably would not have felt anything.

Trusting a taxi or tuk tuk driver to take you to some unknown special place at night would by just idiotic.

Enjoy yourself but take care.

• 1 month later...

It seems a lot safer than western cities but if you walk around thinking nothing will happen you are asking for trouble.

I did just this at 2am one night: instead of getting a taxi to my doorstep,to save 30-40 baht i got dropped off over the road by a footbridge, as i came over the foot bridge there was a very strange looking/acting man crouching down on all fours in the middle of it - just like in the scene from the movie Terminator when the terminator lands on earth, except this guy wasn't naked!

The guy followed me but as i was close to home i was able to walk/sprint faster than him.

On my description of the man i was told he was a 'yaba' addict, this is a big problem here in the city these days, lots of people on drugs with no money or work.

I also found out a guy living in my condo was attacked ( on returning home late hours and extremely drunk), mugged and beaten black and blue by a gang just round the corner.

I have NEVER had any other trouble here but i now try to be more controlled and aware late night.

As said be careful in dark streets/alleyways, and around tourist areas like the Khao San Road area after hours. Don't get blind drunk and attempt to get home alone, and don't take risks, get a taxi home to your door step or as near as possible 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just read this today, the video is insane.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/thailand-gang-attacks-uk-family-video/

This video will never go away.  It's very brutal and a clean shot of what happened.  The Thais will be apologizing for this for years.  I doubt much will happen to the perps though.

This would certainly ruin anyone's vacation and could easily turn into their worst nightmare, being attacked like that in a foreign country.  And it could certainly happen to anyone at the most random of time.

But, one of the reasons I believe this story got so much attention is that it just doesn't happen often at all. If attacks like this were occurring daily, or weekly, or even monthly, this would just be another on the list adding to the many reports that the media is tired of telling.  The gun violence in most US cities has reached that point in areas, media doesn't bother reporting any more, in some the police can't be bothered to show up unless someone's dead.  Certainly isn't making international news, sometimes even if tourists are involved.

So, yes, this attack is scary, pretty sobering to consider it could happen to you. But, based on the amount of attention this one attack is getting, I'm have to assume it was a pretty rare incident.

Generally, I think Bangkok is such a safe place but of course you really have to be responsible enough for your own things. You can actually bring your laptop or any gadget but I suggest if you will go to crowded places make sure to always watch out for your things. Be attentive all the time and please always read some reviews online so you will get an idea, here's one http://bangkok.klapsons.com/getting-around-bangkok/  -- if it's not permitted to post a link please delete it.