safety in bangkok

• 7 months later...

Bangkok is safe as far as I'm concerned, far safer going out at night there, then where I live in the UK. (Out skirts of London).

But others said you have to keep your wits about you.

Although around 3 years ago (Sep 2014), I did get an unpleasant shock when 2 men approached me saying they were 'Thai Police' and wanted me to hand over my passport. These men looked Arab (They did not look Thai) and tried to intimidate me, I stood firm so the scum gave up and took off.

Bottom line of the story - Never oblige in conversation with ANYONE who wants to talk to you on the street.

• 3 weeks later...

Years ago, the Thai's used to wear 24k jewelry abundantly because it was said the trust in banks was low.

I heard that the trust has increased but also the snatch and run.

Like most big cities around the world, take your precautions and don't be an attention seeker or suffer the possible consequences.

• 9 months later...

Is it safe to travel around bangkok with your laptop or mugging is very common ?

If I stay in a 4+ star hotel ... will it be safe to leave laptop in my room ?

Also please give some general tips for safety and security

I never had a problem with theft- usually stayed at SPG / Marriott hotels tho

They are very professional- only risk would be the girls u let stay overnight. But thats never happened to me either

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can never be too safe.  I always lock all my stuff into my luggage when I am out.  My bag weighs close to 30Kg with all my stuff inside and would be hard for some of the maids to even move.  Plus I take a cable lock with me and sometimes lock my luggage to a piece of furniture in the room.

The safes in Thailand are only there to make you feel better.  There is always a "master key" way to open them, normally through a small panel on the front that needs a screwdriver to get opened.

Having said the above, I have never had ANYTHING stolen from my hotel rooms and never been pickpocketed.

I have walked all over bangkok at all hours of the day and never felt threatened.  It is far safer than in the USA in any big city at night...

• 2 weeks later...

You'll always be more at risk in areas more frequented by foreigners (i.e. Khao San, Islands, etc).  Mainly because Thai people know there is little chance of them getting seriously punished for stealing from a foreigner so target these areas.  However I would suggest that Bangkok is (I've travelled to over 60 countries and countless cities) one of the safest cities on Earth in relation to crime.  Now accidents.....well......that's your danger stat.  Most foreigners come a cropper due to making dumb decisions (believing a Thai person that approaches them proactively, getting in a TukTuk, gambling, etc).  Behave appropriately, be polite and don't be flashy.  You'll be fine.  If you are bringing a girl back to your room don't forget....she's already breaking the law.....LOCK IT UP!

You are more likely to be smiled out of your possessions than attacked.

Bangkok is probably the most safe city that I've been to.

EXCEPT one thing. The traffic in Thailand and Bangkok is one of the worst in the world. You won't ribbed but you might get killed by a car, that's Bangkok.

Travelled to Thailand 15+ times never once had a problem with crime and I tend to get pretty drunk when I’m having a night out as well.

USA however i had numerous problems when visiting there last 2 trips.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I grew up in one of the top ten most dangerous cities in the world (measured by homicide rate), where I slept with a loaded .40 calibre Glock under my covers at night. By comparison, Bangkok is a haven of safety.

• Upvote 1

I grew up in one of the top ten most dangerous cities in the world (measured by homicide rate), where I slept with a loaded .40 calibre Glock under my covers at night. By comparison, Bangkok is a haven of safety.

Can you tell us what city?

If you need protection here just put a ladyboy in your bed and give her some yaba, you will never need to worry, they are crazy fuckers on that shit!