safety in bangkok

• 3 weeks later...

My brother who is an expat living in Pattaya first moved to Thailand 10 years ago. His first two years he lived in Bangkok. When I told him this coming trip I was going to spend a few days in Bangkok before going down to Pattaya he told me to worry more about falangs who want to make friends with you than anything else. He also jokingly told me to be ready to dodge rats. I guess I will find out myself in a couple weeks.

• Upvote 1

My brother who is an expat living in Pattaya first moved to Thailand 10 years ago. His first two years he lived in Bangkok. When I told him this coming trip I was going to spend a few days in Bangkok before going down to Pattaya he told me to worry more about falangs who want to make friends with you than anything else. He also jokingly told me to be ready to dodge rats. I guess I will find out myself in a couple weeks.

Have to say that, in my 10 years in BKK, I have seen about as many rats here as I have in London.  They are everywhere.  Maybe he meant farang barflies?  ;)

I'm sure there will be someone who'll have a horror story about Bangkok, just as you'll find the same story about any major city, don't act like an arse and expect to get away with it. Remember you're a guest in their country so treat it with respect.

"Remember you're a guest in their country"???? Just think of all the hoops you have to jump through if you want to stay here or even stay more than 30 days.

If I treated guests in my house the way the Thai authorities treat me, I don't think they would remain guests for long.

"Remember you're a guest in their country"???? Just think of all the hoops you have to jump through if you want to stay here or even stay more than 30 days.

If I treated guests in my house the way the Thai authorities treat me, I don't think they would remain guests for long.

It's the same for loads of countries not only Thailand. If you want to stay longer than the allowed duration a tourist visa allows, get a working visa, educational visa, retirement visa, etc. If people were allowed to simply enter any country and demand they stay there for the rest of their lives, well then fuck.

It looks like it can hold up to 15" easily 

I said the same thing about the 'wizard's sleeve' of a snatch on an old banger I barfined from Soi 7 Beergarden last December.  :ph34r:

Tom Tit  :blink:

Edited by Tom Tit

Or, likewise, generally “guests” like you, that complain about the hosts, and act like ingrates, shouldn’t be surprised if the hosts treat them as such...

Thailand has some of the most "flexible" visa arrangements I have heard of if you are trying to stay a longer time.  Right now I have a good friend on their 6th consecutive tourist visa (each extended, with no issue, at immigration).  You just need to find out who is in favour (right now it is Vientiane) and go there.  Be well presented, quiet and patient.  You WILL win.

I have had every visa imaginable in this country (bar retirement.....too young) and have found that patience, respect and being unassuming brings superb results from most immigration officers.  Knowing when to cede is important too.

Sure some countries offer 90 days on arrival to certain countries, etc, etc but we obviously don't want to be in "some countries".

• 2 years later...

Bangkok is safe as I know it. I've been there but I did not encounter problems there. really safe and people were so nice to me. Did other people encounter safety problems there? I cannot imagine one happening to me.