Decent Restaurants in soi 8 and 11

Guest MattBangkok

• 2 weeks later...

Bukhara Indian Restaurant, corner of Soi 7 and Sukhumvit, is my all time favourite Indian in Bangkok.

Glad to hear this note. Never been in but always looked. I've always got my Indian fix up Soi 3 or more recently at the hookah restaurant down Soi 4.

• 1 month later...

Mrs. Balbir's Indian Restaurant 155/1-2 Soi Sukhumvit 11/1, Bangkok.  Good place to have dinner.  Nice Indian food without being too "chili hot". Food is all in good portions and tasty.  It’s a little more expensive than some other indian places but for me its worth it.

Tandoori chicken (nicely spiced), chicken curry, 2 plain naans came to around 400 baht.

It seems to be a small chain, they also have a counter on the lower ground floor of Robinsons, Asoke, Sukhumvit Soi 19 and another in MBK Centre and another in Central Silom Complex and maybe others.  All serve similar menu.

• Upvote 1

Mrs. Balbir's Indian Restaurant 155/1-2 Soi Sukhumvit 11/1, Bangkok.  Good place to have dinner.  Nice Indian food without being too "chili hot". Food is all in good portions and tasty.  It’s a little more expensive than some other indian places but for me its worth it.

Tandoori chicken (nicely spiced), chicken, 2 plain naans came to around 400 baht.

It seems to be a small chain, they also have a counter on the lower ground floor of Robinsons, Asoke, Sukhumvit Soi 19 and another in MBK Centre and another in Central Silom Complex and maybe others.  All serve similar menu.

I second Babirs. Very good. 

I buy a lot of street food on Soi 11, there's some sidewalk restaurants that open up around dusk, very good food. 

• 2 months later...

Generally I think the food gets better and more authentic the farther you travel away from lower Sukhumvit. But that said, I like the Khao Soi Gai at Chilli Culture. Good Khao Soi is hard to find in BKK for some reason, so its good to know that a decent version of this northern Thai classic dish is available on the 11. But be careful when ordering at Chilli. Many dishes are bland and not really tasty. Stick with the northern fair and you will be happy.

I used to enjoy eating at the rollaway carts on Soi 11, but I think they may be gone now. But like I said above the food gets better the farther away you go from the 11 and the same is true for roll away cart restaurants ie. there are better roll away cart restaurants like the ones on Sukhumvit just past Thonglor (Soi 55). The Thonglor cart restaurants not only have better food, they are significantly cheaper. 

Back on Soi 11: I am not a fan of Rosabieng. Don't say I didn't warn you. This restaurant is infamous IMHO for serving not good, watered down versions of classic Thai dishes.

As far as western grub on the 11 goes: 99% or the time I prefer to eat Thai when I am in Thailand, but on those rare occasions when I have a craving for western food: I like the burgers and pizza at Oskar's and likewise I think Firehouse serves up a tasty burger too. P.S. as the night wears on, you can occasionally spot some attracive FL's hanging out at Oskar's bar. It is worth a look see if you are in the neighborhood and in the mood.

Edited by gogul

Tandoori chicken (nicely spiced), chicken curry, 2 plain naans came to around 400 baht.

I Third Balbir's... My all time favorite indian in BKK. Even delivered it's excellent.

Also get down to Tawan Daeng @ Chon nonsi. Brilliant german in-house brewed beer, live entertainment, and great food! only 100b in a taxi from NEP

Enjoyed eating at Monsoon and Stable Lodge in Soi8. I prefer eating thai in Thailand, but Stable Lodge Lodge also serves Scandinavian food (including "julegløgg") for any hungry vikings out there.

Edited by Buttviking