Solution to locked iPhones

For anyone that is interested. iPhone's as everyone knows are quite the pain in the ass when it comes to travel. Especially if you are on AT&T. They will not unlock the phone unless it is out of contract or you pay out the pricey remainder of your contract. I have traveled and used the GEVEY Ultra in multiple countries that use GSM and never had a problem. Will work in Thailand which is why I figured I would throw this out there for people.

http://www.applenberry.com/gevey-ultra/

Does that involve Jailbreaking?

not sure what you are asking but any phone can be unlocked but have heard of some reporting that the person they had trying to unlock a phone couldn't do it. I don't think it is against any law but phone company may not apreciate it but unless you have a problem with the phone they would never know and the phone is yours by rights(break one without a warranty and find out how fast it is your problem not theirs as it is your phone and you need to replace it). The only reason it is locked is so a company can try and force you to use it on their service so only they can make money from it's use. My commnet was as it was meant my phone that I use at home is not unlocked and is not a iphone but is a smart phone worth around $700 so I would not want anyone messing around with it and screw it up so it would have to be fixed or replaced. I of course did not pay anywhere near that for the phone but would have to shell out quite a few bucks if I had to get a new one and I do not want to do this. Most of the people take over old phones that they have after upgrading to a newer one and can afford to take a chance as it is already paid for and a good phone that can be used so why not use it. I personally picked up an unlocked quadband cheap phone to use for texts and conversations not really good for anything else as I don't really want or need anything more than that. It only cost around $30 so if it gets lost or stolen don't care.

Well my whole point with the GEVEY sim unlocker is that you dont have to unlock the phone or give the phone to someone else to make it woork.

Just buy the sim card and you are up and running.

Yeah, I think that is how they unlock the phones to be used on any network. You have to be careful though cause if you take the phone to Apple for any reason and they see it is jailbroken it voids the warranty on the phone. This way people can avoid all of that.

• 2 years later...

Query?:

Which is easier?

Bring a unlocked phone & swap in a SIM card or purchase phone (with SIM) in BKK?

I know it is cheaper to bring a unlocked phone & get a SIM card but I am looking for which is easier.

I was thinking of going to a big Mall & let them set everything up. Just get a usable phone for calls & texting. However, I would love to bring a Smart Phone I am familiar with, have music & maps loaded for the trip ( to use even when no WiFi ), but my worry is that it won't work for some reason. Then I will need a new phone anyway. Just want a no headache experience, not necessarily the cheapest.

Thanks for the help.

Just FYI... You can easily have your iPhone unlocked without handing over your phone to anyone, jailbreaking, or inserting any special sims into your phone.

Just purchase an iPhone unlocking service for a few bucks off of eBay. I have unlocked 3 AT&T iPhones this way already. I never paid more than 5 bucks for this service, but make sure you read the sellers reviews to make sure they are legit before buying. Once you purchase the service you will be asked to provide IMEI number or something to the seller. 24 hours later you will get a notice your phone is unlocked. At that point you will need to do a complete reinstall of iTunes, and viola your phone is unlocked!

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Specialty-Services-/316/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=unlock+iphone

How does this work? The guys who are selling this service are underpaid AT&T employees. If you purchased your iPhone second hand, make sure you aren't "Blacklisted" for having a lost or stolen phone or something as a standard unlock is impossible on these phones.

The Att store unlocked my iPhone for me. I just told them I was traveling internationally and wanted to purchase a foreign SIM card and they did it for me no charge. And it was about 8 months after I had switched to them and purchased the phone.

YMMV