• 1 month later...

I asked about this customs and many other to few bar girls, most of them can not explain and some of them look you like a "fool" when you ask about thai culture, i am only trying to addapt! without sucess in this matter

We know culturally it is wrong, but can we explain our western idiosyncrasies. My Hungarian wife freaks out if I walk into our apartment in London with my shoes on, but she can't understand why I get stressed if she licks the bread knife.

Not much help, but some things are just wrong!

Mostly everyone in Thailand is Buddhists and believe the head is spiritually the `highest' part of the body, it's also rude to touch or point to things or people with your feet because feet are considered the `lowest' part of the body.

• 3 years later...

That kind of make sense to me now. I used to work with a Thai guy and every time I asked him where our boss was he would nod with his head in the direction he thought the boss was, but if I asked about others I was looking for he would point with his fingers.

Is it acceptable in any culture to hit someone on the head? I imagine that it would result in a melee just about anywhere...

Also never seen anyone hit someone in the head unless they are fighting in the years I've been living here.

On Sunday 2 new girls started at my regular bar both have limited and I mean limited english.

Some of the other girls were playing with my hair all day - it's long and the 2 new ones asked one of the other girls why it was OK to play with it and touch my head.

They thought I might find it offensive, I find it fun as the girls get a kick out of putting my hair into different styles and said it was OK.

Once this was explained to them they thought it was fun to then do the same and sniff my hair etc.