BTS vs Taxi's

tungeteaser

Hi all BM's, I know this maybe a stupid/newbie question, But I was planning to actually do some sight seeing during the day. so I was wondering what is better to do just pay for taxi's or use the BTS. I used the BTS last year & it wasn't that confusing. Because of the flooding/first time, I did not get around much. So I payed by the trip. I was thinking of either of getting a smart pass or day pass? I guess my question is which the best option for a newbie traveling alone?

I will be staying in BKK Nov 6th - 14th.

Edited by tungeteaser

There's no right or wrong depending on where you stay and where you want to go.

If you want to do some sightseeing stuff (like Wat Phra Cheo, Wat Po, Wat Arun), you're better off taking a taxi. If you want to have some fun at night at The PIMP (or a similar venue), then you're also better take a taxi. If you just want to get along Sukuhumvit Road nothing beats the BTS. And if you want to geet to the famous massage parlors at Ratchada area, then MRT usually is the best option.

I'd always choose my transportation depending on the location where I want to go. Sometime I take a taxi, somtime I take BTS and sometimes I even walk.

Edited by Zauberfee

Yes, go with the flow day by day. If you have plans for the day and the places are all accessible by BTS. Count your trip cost. Sometimes its cheaper to buy a day pass which cost THB130 for unlimited rides for the day. Minimum fare is THB15. And you get the convenience of not needing to que for change and buy tickets for every trip.

On certain days, I do expect to spend over THB130 on BTS. Under this circumstances, I will buy a day pass. Even if i expect to travel slightly less han THB130, say THB100, I will stil buy a day pass to enjoying the convenience of not queing up to buy tickets for every trip.

A lot of the sights are along the river. I find the best ie. most relaxing way to get there is to take the BTS to Saphan Taksin and then the river ferry . Cheap as chips and quite enjoyable.

Cheers,

Mark

I agree with Bar4. Riverboats are great, as are the canal boats if you can take the pong of the khlong. BTS/MRT are fine and easy, though I find the gaps on MRT service frustrating. Taxis are fine in emergencies, but not great during rush hour if you are in a rush!

• 2 years later...

I like to use the BTS trains if my destination is near one of the stations.  Its a fast and frequent service and you get to travel with the local people which I rather like.

Some taxi drivers can be annoying quoting ridiculous prices and trying to convince you to go somewhere you don't want to go.

The disadvantage of using the BTS is that you usually have to climb up a lot of stairs to get to the platforms.  Not practical if you are travelling with much in the way of luggage.

• Upvote 1

For getting around the middle of BKK then BTS or MRT all the way, cuts through the traffic like a hot knife through butter.

Had a bad taxi ride recently where the guys meter was blatantly on the diddle. the amount of kms on the trip seemed to be creeping up way too fast giving a total 150B bill when it should have been 80 or 90. At the end of the night trying to get one who will go to my end of town (near Bang Kapi) is always fun but I find if I flag one near Asok then I am usually ok and they use the meter.

• 1 year later...