Koh Samui - how long?

force5

Question for those people that have been to Samui before. How long do most people stay?

While I don't mind a couple of days sitting on the beach, maybe a day out on a boat trip and 1 or 2 days sightseeing is that enough to get a feel for the place? Just trying to work out how long to stay when I go in June, which will be my first time to Samui.

If you're going for beaches and sightseeing I would advise you to go to Phan Gan.

I stayed at Samui, Phan Gan and Tao last year, and Phan Gan was by far my favorite.

On the other hand, if you want to party, bars, girls, etc....you're much better of on Samui.

• 6 months later...

i was in ko samui almost 5 months from november 2008 to march 2009 and i felt happy and free!

and now after 3 long holidays in phuket i will come back happily in ko samui, even before i will stay 1 or 2 weeks in bangkok :P

really enough with phuket/patong, too much noisy/russian/dirty/scammers/mafia :ph34r:

• 1 year later...

I believe that Samui is certainly worth a 5 day stay. I've been there twice myself.

My favourite place to stay is Lamai beach.  The beach is nice and the shopping centre has plenty of restraints and bars. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Samui is getting worse these days. Still lots of nightlife in Chaweng and Lamai. If you've never been go and enjoy but be careful on the bike if you decided to ride. Lots of sand and crazy driver isn't a good combo.

Why its getting worse?

Any hotel (cheap) recommendations from Chaweng?

Was there a year ago for one week and had a blast.  I agree that Lamai has plenty going on for a short stay, but I wish I'd gotten to Chaweng more.  I was there with a buddy.  We didn't go out every night but when we did Lamai was plenty of fun.  Good bar, restaurants...  Took a day trip to the marine park and another trip for diving.  Good times.