ยุไส what does it mean?

bangkoklife

• 4 weeks later...

Google translate shows it phoenetically as "Yu s̄ị".  Yu is used in conjunction with location, i.e. yu nai? = where?. So if I remember how it is used when I've heard it (but could very well be wrong), this is like saying "right here", as in, I'm right here.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

ยุ - yoo means to cheer

If you want to ask where are you its อยู่ไหน - yuu nai. Could just be spelled wrong. Since j learned the alphabet I notice lots of basic spelling errors from girls on Facebook posting status' ect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by kopite

• 3 weeks later...

Since j learned the alphabet I notice lots of basic spelling errors from girls on Facebook posting status' ect.

I have noticed the same thing...there doesn't seem to be a spell check in Thai.  Also noticed that the local newspapers are frequently full of misspellings.  Perhaps there is less emphasis in proper spelling in Thai.

Agreed their spelling is not always good but locals can cope with mis spelt words just as we can in our native tongue.

This is true...just surprising the frequency that it occurs in the local print media relative to what you see in the west.

it is slang but means as many have stated. where are you. most Thais write slang as it is much shorter although grammatically incorrect, just as we do in our own languages. dya geddit? 555

When Thai is translated formally most of the sentences will be longer than in English (but not always). Our company recently had some documents professionally translated and due to typesetting and formal Thai language 10 A4 documents in English turned into 25 A4 documents in Thai. English doesn't translate well verbatim to Thai but expresses the meaning when translated.