Travel Advisory - BKK from Singapore MFA

rj1972

What's this all about? Anything to be concerned about?

"The Thai Government has imposed the Internal Security Act in three districts of Bangkok - Dusit, Pom Prab, and Phra Nakorn - until 30 November 2013. During this period, a number of political demonstrations are expected to take place in central Bangkok. Protest areas may include Ratchadamnoen Avenue, Silom Road, Ratchaprasong intersection, Sam Sen train station, Lumphini Park, and Uruphong intersection." 

We'll see... thus far, it's just been demonstrations against the amnesty bill that was proposed. I was at the one at Chitlom yesterday, and though they shut down traffic around Central World, it's not been violent or terribly disruptive. But it will depend on what the Senate does now.

• 3 weeks later...

We'll see... thus far, it's just been demonstrations against the amnesty bill that was proposed. I was at the one at Chitlom yesterday, and though they shut down traffic around Central World, it's not been violent or terribly disruptive. But it will depend on what the Senate does now.

It seems to escalate:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/local/381615/protest-marchers-rally-throughout-bangkok-against-government

Should I be concerned about my about upcoming trip? Occupation of the Budget Bureau seems a little bit more serious than just a peaceful protest.

It seems to escalate:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/local/381615/protest-marchers-rally-throughout-bangkok-against-government

Should I be concerned about my about upcoming trip? Occupation of the Budget Bureau seems a little bit more serious than just a peaceful protest.

Yes, it is getting a bit dodgy now. If you're only here for mongering and staying close to SC or Nana, no issues yet. But if you want to get out across the city, you may be delayed. Bangkok Post put the crowd number at Democracy Monument around 400,000. There's no way to gather that many people without disruptions. The next few days will probably indicate how this whole thing will play out.

I certainly hope we have no airport shutdown as I have an international flight leaving mid December. I attended (kind of) the protest at the immigration building today. Planned to help my friend with some paper work without realizing it would be shut down. Decided to check it out anyways.

The situation seems pretty fluid. Civil unrest has turned into deadly confrontations. In western media there is a lot of mention of red shirt demos around a stadium. Is that the one near MBK?

This up to date article:

http://www.asiatraveltips.com/news13/212-BangkokStatus.shtml

states "is it safe to travel to Bangkok now? The simple answer to that question is, yes.".

The one thing that makes me doubt my travel plans is the location of the unrest. If CentralWorld gets closed then this is pretty close to the lower sois of Sukhumvit.

Any thoughts on that?