Sukhumvit

mito

• 2 weeks later...

The reason for so many mobile bars that the article complains about is the closing times imposed on the ordinary bars and clubs a couple of years ago.

If later opening ours were to be brought back there wouldn't be a market for the mobile bars.

The reason for so many mobile bars that the article complains about is the closing times imposed on the ordinary bars and clubs a couple of years ago.

If later opening ours were to be brought back there wouldn't be a market for the mobile bars.

Now that they are out there, I don't know if allowing bars to stay open late/ all night would make them disappear. It has kind of developed it's own following. And it can be a nice change of pace to sit and watch the world go by - in addition to giving punters a place to hang when most of the other bars have closed.

They have also kind of replaced the beer bar complexs that have been demolished in relatively recent times - in the soi 10 area on both sides, and down near Cowboy.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

No exaggeration at all in the newspaper report. Somebody must be paying a lot in protection for it to be allowed to go on. It can be decidedly unfriendly in some of those areas for a white face in the wee hours. Taxi drivers tell me they lock their doors when they go past there and will not stop for Africans - too many bad experiences. (They say they can recognise Black Brits and Yanks from their clothing and have no problems with them.)

• 6 months later...

I love it, i did spend a couple of nights at one specific streetbar recently, the girl who run the bar called me when i went upcountry "When you come back, i have no costumer, very hard times for me now"rolleyes.gif

She also told me she paid 4000 Baht/month to "big boss" for running the bar, and 2000 Baht to the police.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

on a recent trip to Koh Chang i realised that Sukhumvit road goes for 300km+ and the section from Nana to about soi 33 is only a tiny section of this road. Definetly not a street of shame, probably a street of great prosperity for thais for many years, and well known throughout the world.