Which area to live?

I will be moving to Bangkok in the middle of the for work.  I plan on taking my first trip to Bangkok next month but I have been to the Philippines many times. My question is where is the best area to live. Expensive areas are ok.  I'm looking for the best area for nightife, western restaurants, etc. I will be working near the US embassy so I would also like short commute but this is not a deal breaker.  Any suggestions?  Thanks.

• 11 months later...

Next to work would be ideal... Commuting in BKK sucks! I prefer to live walking distance from Asoke BTS. Easy walk to BTS/MRT and all the best night life options. Also, your work is right around the corner.

In my opinion Bangkok is only fun if you have a ballin pad in a central location. Fuck living in some hot flat on the outskirts of the city.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

The closer to Asoke the better I think. I have a great condo in Phra Khanong and everyday I wish I was just a few BTS stops closer to Thong lo/Nana etc. taxis are great in the evening but during the day BTS is the only way to travel. Traffic makes daytime taxi rides torture.

If you need a hand I know a great Agent to help you find a place. Perfect English and French (and beautiful too).

• 8 months later...

If you want Nightlive, foreign restaurant then Sukhumvit (Asoke, Nane) till Siam sounds a very reasonable area for you. Especially because you don't care about little bit more expensive.

It is not my prefered area for living, but that's an advantage that not all people want stay same place.

Chidlom / Ploenchit / Withayu road or Siam, all walking, taxi, BTS, mocy short distances. If budget isn't an issue don't bother with the cheaper expat areas because they're only cheaper because they're further away from the CBD. Best guidance will come from members that have lived here in BKK for awhile rather than tourists and itinerents.

Soi Rumrudee has lots of decent places to rent and its easy to walk through the All Seasons complex onto Withayu (Wireless) Rd. which is where the US Embassy and many other large office buildings are situated.

• 8 months later...

I will be moving to Bangkok in the middle of the for work.  I plan on taking my first trip to Bangkok next month but I have been to the Philippines many times. My question is where is the best area to live. Expensive areas are ok.  I'm looking for the best area for nightife, western restaurants, etc. I will be working near the US embassy so I would also like short commute but this is not a deal breaker.  Any suggestions?  Thanks.

Hi Marlove, you can try living in Sukhumvit but I heard it is not cheap there but I assume it's not an issue for you since you mentioned that expensive areas are okay. 

• 3 months later...