Election is Over and Now What Happens?

bob_ny

Well it seems that the election has ended without any additional violence.

Anybody on the ground in BKK have any firsthand feedback on the pulse of the people?

Are there still demonstrations and attempts to prevent day to day business flow?

I read that the PDRC is being blamed for the shooting in Laksi, and there will be wrangling over the results of the election including a lawsuit agains the Prime Minister.

Have the large group events been halted with the emergency measures put in place?

Thanks for you feedback.

They are consolidating some of the protest sites but there aren't plans to stop protesting anytime soon. Most of the leaders don't have many options but to keep going or they will face arrest.

By some means or another this election will probably not prove valid so now there will just be hashing out on what grounds to invalidate it as there were many issues and lots of lawsuits flying around.

Fun can still be had, but down the road I don't see how the protestors have any option aside from escalating. Airport closures are a sure fire way to make something give so I wonder, like many others, if that will eventually come to play.

The emergency measures have not put a stop to the large gatherings, nor have they done too much besides initiate travel warnings from outside countries in my opinion.

Thanks Kimao.

Some valid points made.

Seems like the protesters  will continue on until they get their way, unless the gov't or the military take some aggressive action to quell the demonstrations.  I think it would be a terrible turn of events if the army or police initiated shooting the population again in their attempts to bring things back to business as usual.

I'm just watching to see how things play out.  I'd like to make a business trip to Thailand sometime in 2014 and it would probably be best to do it when there's less mayhem.  I don't see myself coming before May or June and I could certainly put it off until late summer early fall.  Hopefully things will sorted out by then.

Stay safe.

Based on reports in the western media the lawyers are now taking over and the legality of the elections on Sunday is being challenged by the protesters. Given that the appeal has gone to the same body that recommended the elections were delayed the protesters could get a sympathic hearing. Added to this several members of the Governing party are now facing charges that could ban them from holding office in the future. China has just stopped buying rice from Thailand because of concerns over the Government rice purchasing scheme so the rice farmers are not getting paid. As it is the farmer that support the Government party this could cause them problems in the future.

These problems have been going on in Thailand for years and regularly come to a head, I am sure we have several more months to run but while it is going on all sides will try to ensure the tourist trade is not impacted.While BKK might be suffering a drop in tourist numbers as far as I can tell the other tourist locations are not effected or even doing better. .

Willow, what "other tourist locations" are you referring to?

It's reassuring that neither side wants to disrupt tourism, but as long as demonstrations are taking place, there is more likelihood for random acts of violence happening.  And that's been my major concern.

I was there in November, and I think that was when the big demonstrations recently started.  As soon as I got to BKK, the newspapers were writing about the bill for amnesty that the Prime Minister was looking to get passed.  I think that's what got this new round of demonstrations ignited.  From my ill informed view, it seems like a less than stellar move for a politician to make that didn't have a consensus approval rating from the population!  But what do I know!  I'm an outsider with very little knowledge of how Thai politics works.

While there, it was pretty easy to avoid the demonstrations.  I was in touch with some of the Government, and was told by them what spots to avoid, day to day.  There were only a couple of days that we were told to stay close to the tourist areas.  It wasn't so much, dangerous, as it was difficult to get around because traffic was stopped.

Edited by bob_ny

Willow, what "other tourist locations" are you referring to?

It's reassuring that neither side wants to disrupt tourism, but as long as demonstrations are taking place, there is more likelihood for random acts of violence happening.  And that's been my major concern.

I was there in November, and I think that was when the big demonstrations recently started.  As soon as I got to BKK, the newspapers were writing about the bill for amnesty that the Prime Minister was looking to get passed.  I think that's what got this new round of demonstrations ignited.  From my ill informed view, it seems like a less than stellar move for a politician to make that didn't have a consensus approval rating from the population!  But what do I know!  I'm an outsider with very little knowledge of how Thai politics works.

While there, it was pretty easy to avoid the demonstrations.  I was in touch with some of the Government, and was told by them what spots to avoid, day to day.  There were only a couple of days that we were told to stay close to the tourist areas.  It wasn't so much, dangerous, as it was difficult to get around because traffic was stopped.

I believe he is referring to the tourists spots around the country outside of BKK.

I wouldn't worry too much, Bob.  BKK is still safer than New York City, if you ask me.

Rowyco,

You are right!  I never felt unsafe in Bangkok at times of the morning that I would not be so forward as to speak to "strangers" in the streets of the big city.

I did feel a bit out of my comfort zone once during the day while I was walking around the city as I wandered to an area that had no farangs and I noticed that I was under the scrutiny of the local eyes.  It was at that moment when my world seemed to become inner focused a motorcycle taxi pulled up next to me on the sidewalk and asked if I'd like a ride.  I hopped on and was quickly brought back to tourist area.

I don't think I was in any danger at that time, but it was absolutely not in an area that was as tourist friendly as what I'd become accustomed to.  And at the time I felt that the moto taxi noticed I was out of my depths... just an energy thing I guess.

Today I got a message back from my friendly BG who works in Nana in regards to the elections.   She says she still not going around Asoke station area as the protests are still going on and there's too much danger.   i'd guess no real danger other than she's just not into being around obnoxious people.    

She took off work today to just hang out in her room with her girlfriends.   She says they really aren't making much money.   A few farang come and have a drink but aren't often buying LD or tipping much.   She's kinda embarrassed about the line of work she's in so she tells me she's busy when she's taken out for ST/LT.   She's only had a few ST gigs since the beginning of the year.   

I think the US news coverage in regards to Bangkok is the real damaging thing here.  It's having an effect on tourism and the way folks go about their lives.    I can't speak for tourism from other countries as I'd say the mix was pretty much Aussie and Brits that I met.