Airport taxi to Sukhumvit

fun4two

Everytime the taxi driver asks if taking the highway is ok (from the airport)...

I always said yes, but is there a route to sukhumvit that doesn't go by the highway?

Yes, I have arrived late at night by Emirates. The taxi driver didn't use highway and also no traffic.

Interesting...Do you pay tolls going only by streets?

It was about a little more than a year ago (about the beginning of shutdown Bangkok) Emirates arrived at almost midnight. I remember the taxi driver drove part of the trip under the highway. When we almost reached the city. He drove to some side street. No toll and No traffic! I arrived in JW Marriott in little more than half hour.

I don't remember it was the same trip or the trip after. When I was going to the airport, the bell boy forgot to tell the driver to use the highway. So, the "honest" driver just used the local streets. It took almost an hour to reach the airport (a lot of traffic). The cost was just a little more than 200 THB!

Edited by wtko3888

any recommendations for BKK taxi services you can book in advance (via their website etc) ?

Just an update now that I'm back from my trip. I booked the taxi lady above to take me to my hotel from the airport. Well she didn't turn up !  I called her and she said she forgot about the booking. I was very annoyed to be honest, and then faced a large queue for the taximeters.  As it turned out, the new taximeter service is a breeze and the queue moved fast, so I got to my hotel in good time - only 300 baht.  But I can't recommend this taxi lady. Just not good enough. She won't be getting my business again.

hi there,

I decided to book a private taxi using http://jjtaxiservice.com/ and the service provided was great.  I met the driver at meeting point 3.  I think we went though 2 tolls and he he went around some side routes under the highway and away from Sukhumvit Road.  He got me to the Landmark hotel in about 20mins.  Overall a very smooth journey - cost me 800 baht.  Would 100% use again.

Thanks

I took a taxi from Sofitel Sukhumvit to the BKK today. The driver took a new route. He made a left turn at the Asoke intersection. Then driving on the street for about 15 minutes. Reached the toll and the driver only paid 30thb. Arrived at the Airport in about 45 minutes. Total included toll is 255 THB.

• 4 weeks later...

I made this trip last Sunday from the taxi meter rank at subvarnibhumi airport to Majestic Suites hotel using the toll highway but I got the driver to drop me off in the Nana hotel car park.

My cost in total was 386 baht.

Meter start 35 baht + taxi moving on road 226 baht (261) toll 1 25 baht + toll 2 50 baht (have small cash to hand)

Plus the airport taxi tax add on of 50 baht. = 386 baht.

This journey was made around four in the afternoon. Due to previous experience with lower sukhumvit traffic and the one way system I get my driver to drop me off in the Nana hotel car park and make the two minute walk across soi 4 to the hotel (watch out for traffic)'. I find this the most direct way to get to the Majestic Suites hotel (for me).

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Sorry for asking, I remember getting from the airport to Sukhumvit in 2010(?) took me 1.5 hours by taxi. Stuck in the traffic jam.

Isn't it faster and better to take the airport train to Phaya Thai, and change to BTS towards Nana?

(price is not a consideration, just speed and comfort).