Pattaya rushes to eradicate sin

house516

^^First time I went to Thailand was with my gf and several other couples(boo hiss), my friend( who was living in LOS ) booked us into the Federal Hotel at the top of soi 11 & picked us up from the airport etc, we were all very naive about Sukhumvit, none of us spotted the FLs, young girls standing around in short skirts are normal street furniture in western city centres, I remember one night coming out of the Federal and walking past this young girl who was standing around & my friend made some joking comment about finding another hotel further from the main drag which confused us...it wasn't until my 2nd trip out that I understood what he meant and the girl was actually a FL.  The gogo bars were more sleazy looking walking past, young girls sitting on an older western man's knee or calling out to passing tourists...it wasn't until he took us on a walking tour of Nana/SC where things became completely obvious ...you have to remember we look at things through the eyes of experienced mongers & FLs are much less obvious...almost invisible to uninitiated civilians.

You're right about the transition and how these Thai families will then support themselves, but lets remember a lot of these families own farms or come from rural areas so could easily go back to farming if there was no other option, they migrate to bkk for money if that money is no longer available they will simply migrate back to where they came, however a lot WGs speak good English and have a black belt in the way of Falang, so posses many transferable skills for working in a futuristic family friendly tourist zone as service staff.

I wouldn't worry too much about the Thai economy suffering, if nothing else the Thais are astute business people, they wont do anything to jeopardise their revenue streams, the resilience of the Baht is testament to this....when the Baht starts to devalue because of military actions/reforms that is the time for thais to worry.

------------------

e2a: nobody really knows what's going to happen so we're only discussing various possibilities I'm glad to see we can do this without any bad vibes ...things seems to be getting a little heated on this topic/thread over on PA.

Edited by tuk

Could it be certain bar owners are secretly pressing for "a crackdown" of FL's to help their own business?

It's not hard for a group of bar owners to bribe the police (already done from what I understand) for a crackdown to remove "competition"? I honestly think that money is the root of every political/governmental decision.

I am pretty ignorant as far as Thai politics go, but where I'm from, it's all about money. Just a thought.

Do you think they will get rid of the whole scene or just clear the streets? I would still come anyway even if they did clear the whole scene but it would make it a bit harder to get girls haha

I think the easiest to control are the bars and gogos as they all have a license of some form.Freelancers are very difficult to control especially with the dating sites being very active. 

I expect to see rules introduced about girls standing outside gogos that limit the numbers and what they are wearing. In AC they have already put limits on the number of door girls. This would certainly take a lot of  girls off the streets especially in Cowboy where over the years the girls are wearing less and less.  I also think they will enforcing closing times, if tourists want to drink back at their hotel this will be still be allowed.

There might well be measures to move on the girls that stand on the streets but this will just move them to other places like the clubs and bars. There are countless places to get a beer in BKK and unless you have single gender places boys and girls will meet up. You are going to find it very hard to stop boy meets girl in a club/bar and they go for off a meal. The bloke is not going to say he is paying her and she is not going to admit she is being paid. Come the morning as a gentleman he might pay for her taxi home!

If this escalates it will takes years for the country to change. Basically you will have about a million unskilled bargirls and families with no means to support themselves. Many working girls are supporting 5-6 people, so working at 7-11 won't cut it.

Not sure there are 1 millon bargirls in Thailand. The Thai population is about 68 million, 50% are male. So 1 millon bargirls would mean about 3% of the female population are working as whores. Take away those under 18 and over 40 and the percentage is even greater. As most Thai girls would not consider working in bar I think the 1 million figure is somewhat high.

I have never counted but a wet finger guess is in Cowboy there are about 2500 girls working similar number for Nana and Patpong still only gives about 8000 girls.

Pattaya is already full of family tourists, Chinese and Russian. BKK had a lot of them last week, from the Middle East. They dont seem to care. They r not squeamish about sex like westerners from certain countries

If they clear the Beach Road area of streetstanderz they will be doing us all a favor. PTY also has a locals area called Thep Phrasit with a lot of naughty girls.

If n e thing changes the scene it will b economic factors not political ones n we r seeing that happening already. Thaksin tried n failed to clean Thailand up at the turn of the century

Nuff said!

• 2 weeks later...

I am guessing the cost of owning a large number of bars that get few customers is taking its toll  - pockets are only so deep. The down turn in trade for all bars will hit the 'bad ones' first and his bars did not have a good reputation. I still feel he has much bigger plans than just running bars.

Of course we do not know if the rumours are true or what any deal might be. If he still keeps hold of the freehold and rents the bar he still retains his ownership of the land should development happen. What ever we say about the bloke he is a business man who has made money in the past do must know what he is doing.

Personally I feel bars/gogos need to go back to the well established business model that worked for them for years. They should stop trying to be something they are not. Most customers go to a bar/gogo with the hope of meeting a cute young girl to take off to bed  - the role of bar/gogo is the introduction agency. Few blokes go to drink, at inflated prices, and watch girlie shows as they can do this at home without spending money on a flight. The drinks and the shows are just to give the right atmosphere for the prime business or for the girls to advertise and promote their talents.

The bars/gogos need to go back to basics by getting rid of the coyotes that are either not barfineable or ask silly prices. Coyote girls need to understand if you are selling you pussy you are working as a whore even if you want silly money for it. If you want top dollar then you will need to be very very special - in my view most coyotes are no cuter than normal bargirls they just think they are and have the attitude to match! I understand the bars are doing this because they claim they cannot find enough girls to work as normal bargirls. However, they have missed the point of why the blokes go to the bars - it is not to look at eye candy it is to barfine girls.

The bars should stop the pressures to buy ladydrinks for many girls - it is a false ecomony. I know many blokes that a few years back would relax and have a few drinks with the girl before leaving the bar, now with all the pressures to buy drinks all the time once the deal is done they leave with the girl. So the bar ends up selling fewer drinks, has fewer people in it which is likely to mean other potential customers will look but not come in.

Finally the girls need to have the correct attitude and understand it is about selling a service that is much more than just opening their legs. More and more girls just want ST and have the aim collecting the money and  getting home or back to the bar as soon as possible. I can remember when you would never ask about ST or LT it was a given the girl would stay until morning. Getting her to leave was sometimes the problem as they were happy to spend time in an airconditioned room with a modern bathroom and shower with a soft bed to sleep in.

I few years back it was  boom time people had a lot of disposable income and were happy to spend. The cost of air travel was falling and tourism, including mongering, was booming in LOS. The bars/gogos were doing fantastically well and started to transform themselves into the chrome and neon palaces we have today and the girls were also starting to make serious money. I can still remember when most bars were small and rather run down looking but few of these now still exist, Sexy Nights in Nana or Fanny in Cowboy are still in the old style. Having invested so much into the bars the owners need to get a return and as customer number fell prices started to increase. Remember the normal rules of business still apply to bars and the capital outlay has to be recovered from the income. As the girls started to get more customers they could be more selective, started to ask for more money and of course their attitude and  level of service fell.

Personally I feel bars/gogos need to go back to the well established business model that worked for them for years. They should stop trying to be something they are not. Most customers go to a bar/gogo with the hope of meeting a cute young girl to take off to bed  - the role of bar/gogo is the introduction agency. Few blokes go to drink, at inflated prices, and watch girlie shows as they can do this at home without spending money on a flight. The drinks and the shows are just to give the right atmosphere for the prime business or for the girls to advertise and promote their talents.

The bars/gogos need to go back to basics by getting rid of the coyotes that are either not barfineable or ask silly prices. Coyote girls need to understand if you are selling you pussy you are working as a whore even if you want silly money for it. If you want top dollar then you will need to be very very special - in my view most coyotes are no cuter than normal bargirls they just think they are and have the attitude to match! I understand the bars are doing this because they claim they cannot find enough girls to work as normal bargirls. However, they have missed the point of why the blokes go to the bars - it is not to look at eye candy it is to barfine girls.

The bars should stop the pressures to buy ladydrinks for many girls - it is a false ecomony. I know many blokes that a few years back would relax and have a few drinks with the girl before leaving the bar, now with all the pressures to buy drinks all the time once the deal is done they leave with the girl. So the bar ends up selling fewer drinks, has fewer people in it which is likely to mean other potential customers will look but not come in.

Finally the girls need to have the correct attitude and understand it is about selling a service that is much more than just opening their legs. More and more girls just want ST and have the aim collecting the money and  getting home or back to the bar as soon as possible. I can remember when you would never ask about ST or LT it was a given the girl would stay until morning. Getting her to leave was sometimes the problem as they were happy to spend time in an airconditioned room with a modern bathroom and shower with a soft bed to sleep in.

I few years back it was  boom time people had a lot of disposable income and were happy to spend. The cost of air travel was falling and tourism, including mongering, was booming in LOS. The bars/gogos were doing fantastically well and started to transform themselves into the chrome and neon palaces we have today and the girls were also starting to make serious money. I can still remember when most bars were small and rather run down looking but few of these now still exist, Sexy Nights in Nana or Fanny in Cowboy are still in the old style. Having invested so much into the bars the owners need to get a return and as customer number fell prices started to increase. Remember the normal rules of business still apply to bars and the capital outlay has to be recovered from the income. As the girls started to get more customers they could be more selective, started to ask for more money and of course their attitude and  level of service fell.

Totally agree! But will this ever happen?   :(

If the number of customers continue to decline the bars will have to change or close. If the rumours are true that the Arab is selling up a couple of his bar in Cowboy it shows how things are. I still feel the bars with the traditional approach like Shark in Cowboy and Mercury in Nana  have more customers in them.

I now using the internet dating sites more to find girls and it works well. I am sure some are bargirls taking a night off from where they work while others are obviously freelancers. You do get some are just looking to pick up some quick cash or want a free holiday for a few days plus a tip at the end. There are also normal girls but these take some time to get anywhere. That said I do enjoy an evening out and a meal with a pretty girl even if all I get is a tiny kiss at the end. Most want to be home before 10pm so the night is still young and I have had a chance to practice my Thai.

• 1 month later...

Bunch of years back Las Vegas Nevada decided they wanted to become a family destination so they built a lot of family-friendly stuff and pulled back on the sin.  That didn't work so hot.  Took a while and billions in investment before they shifted to the "What happens in Las Vegas stays in Las Vegas" slogan and game on again.

It's always possible there's a looming sea change, but most of the time these trends are temporary, since the people in control are doing very well with the current model.  They just make minor adjustments for show.