TEN *Must Do's* while in Bangkok. Besides P4P. Travel Tips

I like topics like this and look forward to more responses.

Thanks for the great pics Kopite and BKKSC.

1. Learn the BTS, MRT and ferries. Nothing will help you get around the city easier at a reasonable price.

2. Even if you aren't into flowers, its difficult not to be impressed by the mass on offer at the wholesale market in Chinatown. Pak Klong Talad. At the least, if you are going to Yaowarat, try to saunter by.

3. Try eating at one of the bigger roadside eating areas. There's one beside/under the overpass near Ploenchit BTS station that is good. And another area in Suk Soi 38 that is on my list for next trip. I recall an awesome breakfast at Ploenchit of Beef and Basil, rice and fried egg for 30 baht.

4. Stock up on sunglasses at MBK for 2 or 300 baht / pair

5. Chatuchak Market is a must. Be prepared for a long, hot day. Take water.

6. Go to a gold shop in Yaowarat or MBK, even if only to look around. I bought myself a baht of gold on the last trip. But before you buy, read up on the difference in purity and weight of Thai gold. Download one of the many Thai Gold Apps for your phone to monitor the price.

7. Foot massages are a great excuse to get out of the heat, have a cold water or hot tea and a relaxing rub.

8. Take a walk around Lumpini Park. Join in the Tai Chi or yoga groups. Watch the Monitor(?) Lizards. Jog. As an added bonus there is an elevated foot path from Suk Soi 10 to the NE corner of Lumpini.

9. Wat Pho and Wat Arun are a short ferry ride across the river from each other. Go to one in the morning, stop for lunch and a massage, then continue to the other in the afternoon. You can get a decent lunch, on the water, at the ferry station at Wat Pho.

10. Stay hydrated. In addition to the free water from the hotel, I go to 7/11 and buy the gallon(?) bottles of water for less than a dollar. I use that to refill smaller bottles for my day trips.

IMG_9981_2_3_tonemappedweb.jpg

Lumpini Park

flower.jpg

Flower market

ploenchit.jpg

Eating at Ploenchit beside the overpass

IMG_9964_5_6_tonemappedweb.jpg

Ploenchit

• 2 months later...

Hello,
i will be living at suk 11 soi.

can anyone divide these places in to 3 days.
Friday, Saturday and Sunday i have.

1. Visit Siam Paragon Mall.

2. Visit Wat Arun Temple.

3. Eat the Roast Duck at MK Restaurant in Siam Paragon Mall.

4. Go Shopping at MBK! (low end, clothes, fake goods, electronics)

5. Visit the Weekend Market. Chatuchak Market. http://www.chatuchak.org/ (Wear shoes, and get ready to walk!)

6. Visit the Grand Palace

7. Take a boat ride down the Chao Phraya River

8. Eat at Din Tai Feng (World famous Taiwanese dim sum) in Central World Mall.

9. Visit Wat Pho (Reclining Buddha)

10. Hang out at Terminal 21 (great food court also)

if anyone can arange them in order per day would have been great.

Thanks in advance

• 2 weeks later...

Eat at Somboon Seafood

1. Curry crab

2. Tom yum kun

3. Garlic prawns

One in huay kwang (ratchada)

And surrounded by the big soapie establishments!

Eat at some fried chicken place in chatuchak market ( i forget the name all I remember is that they used to use doors as tables)

1. Fried chicken

2. Larb gai

• 5 months later...

My suggestions:

1. Buy yourself a street food breakfast or two rather than a Western style hotel breakfast. The opposite end of Soi 24 from Sukhumvit is good. Also all around Silom in the early morning.

2. Go wandering around back streets looking for street food at lunch time or early evening.

3. Central World is my favourite shopping mall to spend a few hours in. More places to eat than you can poke a stick at. Check out the supermarket on the. 7th floor, which is probably as close as you'll come to Harrods food hall in a Thailand. It has supposedly been rated as the #1 supermarket in Asia.

4. Siam Paragon is another great shopping mall, and not as enormous as Central World.

5. Lumpini Park to wander around and see the enormous water monitors (lizards) cruising around the ponds and canals.

6. Something I haven't done yet - watch a proper Muay Thai fight.

7. Chatuchak market.

8. Klong Toey markets - just to wander around.

9. Seaworld in the basement of Siam Paragon.

10. Eat fresh seafood at a riverside restaurant - I've been to Baan Klang Naam and really enjoyed it, but there are probably better places.

• 11 months later...

You guys should follow Mark Wiens on YouTube. He has tonnes of videos detailing day trips, activities and the best places to eat. Plenty of good info here too.

I second Mark Wiens ,too.

And also his friend's Youtube channel   bangkok fatty.

Make sure you're not hungry when you watch them.

1.Wat Pho (reclining Buddha) and combined with Wat Arun which you can access by boat, it will take you about the first half of the say to complete. Not hard or taxing.

2. Khlong river tour, rice barge river tour.
3. Grand Palace, wear pants, respect.

4. Chatuchak Market. http://www.chatuchak.org/

5. Food  - noodle boat alley, Victory monument. 25 baht per bowl, and sometimes less.

6. Asiatique Bangkok http://www.thaiasiatique.com/index.php/en

7. China Town – Sapan Lek markets. (the iron bridge markets are gone but the clothiers markets are still there as well as many other market style things)

8. Pantip plaza (electronics heaven)

9. Lumpuni park

10. MBK, shopping and food courts, there’s two. Food island food court is great. Wednesday nights at 6pm they do a Mua Thai exhibition fights, pretty good always draws a crowd, out the from of Tokyo department store and you can watch from the BTS skybridge.

Is9Fj9u.jpg

OTHER IDEAS

• Upvote 1