TEN *Must Do's* while in Bangkok. Besides P4P. Travel Tips

Pantip Plaza is only a shadow of its former glory. I usually drop by there every trip (almost 50 trips now) and last time, 2 months back, all the ground floor booths were gone! Seems MBK is a viable, yet more expensive alternative.

Sent from my V2s+ using Tapatalk

If you're ever in the area, check out some of the jewellery shops around Chinatown.  Going out of your way to see them probably isn't worth it. But you'll see an amazing amount of gold on display in some of these shops.

Most of the shopping malls mentioned are somewhat interesting and decent places to get something to eat, but not really a must see on a trip around the world. The area full of cell phones in MBK is a bit unique, having never seen anything like that in the US. But the rest of the malls are mostly like shopping mall all over the world.

Take one of the ferries / water taxis up the river from under the Saphan Thaksin MRT to see Wat Po and the Grand Palace. Not a long walk around the area, quick and easy way to get there and get out without getting stuck in traffic. Stop across the river to see Wat Arun maybe? (I've never been there) or find a boat to take you on a canal tour.   In one short day (maybe a long one) you'll be able to collect a week's worth of tourist photos to show Mom when you get back.

Also check out a floating market somewhere.

1. take a longtail boat trip

2. take a tuk tuk ride

3. visit blind massage school

4. get a traditional tattoo

5. visit one of the many orphanages

6. take a stroll through lumpini park just to see the giant monitor lizards

7. visit one of the non touristy temples to observe locals making merit

8. chatuchak market just because its massive

9. walk through klong toey fresh market

10. baiyoke tower just to get a view of bkk at sunset

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

This is exactly topic, what I was looking for ! Great ideas, noted !

yes me to ,last time I went I did not take full advantage of the city , it was monger ,monger , monger !! Lol this trip I'll do some good site seeing !!

1. take a longtail boat trip

2. take a tuk tuk ride

3. visit blind massage school

4. get a traditional tattoo

5. visit one of the many orphanages

6. take a stroll through lumpini park just to see the giant monitor lizards

7. visit one of the non touristy temples to observe locals making merit

8. chatuchak market just because its massive

9. walk through klong toey fresh market

10. baiyoke tower just to get a view of bkk at sunset

#3. A blind massage school, huh? Interesting...

• 2 months later...

Visit the Jim Thompson House Museum. Jim Thompson was an American soldier who stayed in Thailand after the war and founded the Thai silk trade. He became tremoundously wealthy and fell in love with a Thailand, its architecture and its culture. He built an authentic Thai mansion in BKK using materials from around the country and filled it with art and artifacts that he collected from throughout Asia.

He became beloved by the Thais. So much so that when he mysteriously disappeared on a trip -- in Cambodia I think? -- the Royal family sent a search party to find him. He was never seen again, but his home became a museum for the public and a tribute to his memory.

Toured his house, learn about Thai silk and a little Thai history and enjoy lunch at the restaurant on site. A great way to spend a few hours in BKK.

post-24987-0-39048800-1479793369_thumb.jpg

post-24987-0-25482200-1479793403_thumb.jpg

post-24987-0-69790300-1479793446_thumb.jpg

post-24987-0-67722100-1479793580_thumb.jpg

post-24987-0-01004500-1479793635_thumb.jpg

post-24987-0-24207400-1479793680_thumb.jpg

post-24987-0-73636100-1479793705_thumb.jpg

I did a half day cooking class. WAs pretty good, a great way to get away from it all for an afternoon. AImed at those who knew nothing about cooking but still ok if you know your way around a wok. Also gives you something to show what you got up to for those uneducated ones or ones your would prefer not to know the real reason why you just spent you whole holiday in Bangkok and came home with no shopping or tourist pics...

• Upvote 1

• 4 months later...