TEN *Must Do's* while in Bangkok. Besides P4P. Travel Tips

8. Take a walk around Lumpini Park. Join in the Tai Chi or yoga groups. Watch the Monitor(?) Lizards. Jog. As an added bonus there is an elevated foot path from Suk Soi 10 to the NE corner of Lumpini.

I know this is an old post that I was looking through. You know got that feeling as the days get closer. Saw this section and was curious if this eleveated footpath (shortcut) still exists. With all the new buildings and changes around Suk. 

I would love to try this walk during the morning if it still exists.

Thanks for the help.

• Upvote 1

8. Take a walk around Lumpini Park. Join in the Tai Chi or yoga groups. Watch the Monitor(?) Lizards. Jog. As an added bonus there is an elevated foot path from Suk Soi 10 to the NE corner of Lumpini.

I know this is an old post that I was looking through. You know got that feeling as the days get closer. Saw this section and was curious if this eleveated footpath (shortcut) still exists. With all the new buildings and changes around Suk.

I would love to try this walk during the morning if it still exists.

Thanks for the help.

It still exists.

• 2 weeks later...

I did the floating market tour out to Damnoen Sadouk. (Ilm sure that I screwed up the way that should be spelled). It was awesome!  Stopped at a coconut farm on the way out there and had the best green chicken curry that I’ve had.  The market was cool.  Mostly talked to a mom and her two adult daughters from Singapore.  Took about 8 hours in total and was dirt cheap.  

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

I did the floating market tour out to Damnoen Sadouk. (Ilm sure that I screwed up the way that should be spelled). It was awesome!  Stopped at a coconut farm on the way out there and had the best green chicken curry that I’ve had.  The market was cool.  Mostly talked to a mom and her two adult daughters from Singapore.  Took about 8 hours in total and was dirt cheap.  

Where did you book the tour from?

I love Krung Thep and I could easily come up with a hundred but these are my ten personal favourites:

1) Visit Wat Traimit in Chinatown. This is one of my favourite temples in Thailand because I love gold. Wat Traimit houses the largest solid gold object in the world and weighs 5.5 tons. Yes really, it is solid gold. No matter how many times I go to see this temple I'm always left in complete awe at the magnificence of this statue.

2) Visit Lumphini Park. The park is beautiful and a great place to chill out for a few hours. It's always a hive of activity too and worth going to just to see the many monitor lizards that live there.

3) Visit Chatuchak market. This place is immense and there's so much to see including some very beautiful paintings in the art section.

4) Drink cocktails in one of the city's many sky bars. You really are spoilt for choice in Bangkok for sky bars and I love sitting in one in the evening drinking cocktails and enjoying the views. My favourites are the Sky Bar at the top of the Lebua State Tower, Red Sky Bar at the top of the Centara Grand Hotel and Above Eleven Bar in Sukhumvit Soi 11. The views from these bars are amazing.

5) Visit the aeroplane graveyard in Bang Kapi. This place is bizarre and what makes it even more inexplicable is that it is miles from any airport. Here there are discarded parts of aircrafts including almost the entire fuselage of a 747. I don't know if you can still get inside the 747 because I've not been for nearly four years but when I went I managed to get inside it which was fascinating.

6) Go to the top of the Baiyoke Sky Tower. Until the construction of the MahaNakhon building this was Bangkok's tallest building for many years. At the top there is a revolving observation deck and from there the views of Bangkok are awesome.

7) Get to the top of the Sathorn Unique building (Ghost Tower). Another quirky addition from me. This building is the world's tallest empty and abandoned skyscraper. It's 49 floors high and it was abandoned in 1997 at 80% completion when the construction company that was building it was bankrupted by the Asian financial crisis. It's been empty ever since. This place has achieved much infamy by people uploading their videos to You Tube, including myself. So many people were climbing to the top a few years back that the owner eventually had to lock the place up and ensure nobody could get in there again because it's obviously a very dangerous place, although totally fascinating and the views are amazing. I managed to get to the top when I was living in Bangkok in 2015. Unfortunately it's now doubtful you can get to the top as it has finally been secured and we couldn't manage to access it when myself, Bryan (co-owner of the forum) and a few others tried to access it in October 2016. However, I hear that people are still somehow managing to get to the top and if you can I highly recommend it as this is a truly fascinating place.

8) Take a river boat taxi from Sathorn Pier to Bangkok's old town. Yes the water is filthy but this is a great experience and you'll get to see some of Bangkok's best buildings including Wat Arun.

9) Try the street food and the thousands of simple restaurants. One of my favourite things about Thailand is the cuisine and in Bangkok the diversity and ubiquity of street food and small, nondescript eateries is quite overwhelming. For me, there's no better way to experience the cuisine than doing it this way and very often the simple restaurants like the one in Boat Noodle Alley serve the best food.

10) Get a sak yant tattoo at Wat Bang Phra. They're painful but it's a great experience. Sak yant is one of the world's oldest styles of tattooing and here they are done by Buddhist monks before they are blessed. These tattoos are revered in Thai culture and an authentic one can only be given by a monk.

Edited by Siam Sam
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 3 months later...

Take a trip on the regular boat services along the Khlong Saen Saep.

This is a canal that runs parallel to and north of Sukumvit for a way.

Just walk up Soi 3 past the Grace Hotel to the Khlong.

The boat station there is called Nana Nua.

You climb on and pay the fare on the boat.

It's dirt cheap - cost me 11 Bht for 3 stops!

Good fun - the boats go quite fast.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I'm not going to list 10 items since everything I know has already been suggested.  Except I did not see anyone mentioning the Contemporary Art Museum (MOCA).  This is a world-class museum in BKK, and an absolute gem (many other museums in BKK are really sub par IMHO).  It's a pain to get to, Mo Chit BTS and taxi, and expensive at 500 baht, but totally worth it.  

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I watched a Mui Thai Tournement through the app WithLocals that was a great experience a few years ago.

It was touch and go before hand as the Matches were changed to a local Thai Championship and they normally did not allow Farangs. But our host pulled some strings and got us in.  We sat about 10 rows from ringside and had a great time. Great fights.

• 3 months later...
On 11/6/2020 at 11:24 PM, hky117 said:

I watched a Mui Thai Tournement through the app WithLocals that was a great experience a few years ago.

It was touch and go before hand as the Matches were changed to a local Thai Championship and they normally did not allow Farangs. But our host pulled some strings and got us in.  We sat about 10 rows from ringside and had a great time. Great fights.

No farang just to be in the audience? I can see why they might allow only Thai competitors, but forbidding them from watching seems bizarre... 

On 2/13/2021 at 7:52 AM, Dianabol said:

No farang just to be in the audience? I can see why they might allow only Thai competitors, but forbidding them from watching seems bizarre... 

Yeah, that is what we were told. That the local Championship was for the Thais to watch. I never really questioned it TBH. I figured it was just one of those things.