Uber, easy taxi, etc.

simagu

Was wondering if anyone had tried ordering taxis with apps like Uber or easy taxi in Bangkok.

If so, is it worth the trouble? I had never considered it, but saw an ad for easy taxi while stuck in traffic today...

• 2 weeks later...

For those who may be curious, I guess I'll answer my own question here. Asked a few expats and hotel staff and while they were almost all familiar with the concept, they said it just did not seem to be ready just yet in Bangkok, although most agree that it will probably happen soon enough.

Some of the reasons for it not working now include the fact that loads of drivers still don't have smartphones, that some drivers are not in the area when you want a taxi so even if they agree to the ride the customer could wait a long time, as well as the fact that some slightly more strict regulations seem to be involved (as these applications "track" drivers, some am assuming some may not like that).

Finally, I'm guessing that a shitload of them simply don't want to go to certain areas or turn on the meter, even if there is a small supplement when using these services...

I've only had good luck with Uber on longer fares, 200B+.  It's really not worth the premium in my opinion for shorter fares.  Also, unlike GrabTaxi, Uber has a much shorter list of drivers so finding a ride can be difficult at peak times.  I've tried using GrabTaxi late at night in the Sukhumvit area without success.  There's tons of tourists looking for a ride and are willing to be gouged because they're either drunk or have company they're anxious to get down with.  I asked for GrabTaxi to pick me up from the door entrance of the Westin Grande although I wasn't staying there.  Taxi never made and the call center only apologized and offered to send another taxi.  I was quoted 10 minutes but the second driver didn't arrive either.  Don't bother with these services if out late at night in the Sukhumvit/Silom area because they'll be a no show based on my few attempts.

You're right with your last sentence.  The small surcharge still nets less than picking up a fare without using the meter.  Unless they hold drivers accountable with future fares, these services will not take hold in this market.

Edited by Scoop

There's tons of tourists looking for a ride and are willing to be gouged because they're either drunk or have company they're anxious to get down with. 

Or, quite often, both.

Yeah, you're right. Unless drivers are held accountable it is not about to change any time soon.... Still, as I've seen these apps work wonders in other countries, it felt worthwhile to ask about Bangkok and, despite the outcome, it's nice to finally get confirmation that someone actually tried it!

The Land Transport Department has banned the Uber Taxi app and its online taxi booking service.

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/land-transport-department-prohibit-uber-taxi-service-saying-unsafe-overcharge-customers

Well, so much for that option. Am curious about the actual reasons behind the decision. As always, it has to be money, perhaps the government not getting its usual share from selling licences? 

I do love the arrogance of claiming that some of the reasons for banning the service are overcharging fees and "problems such as use of credit cards"...

Now wouldn't it be interesting if these new Uber regulations applied to all taxi drivers (i.e. receiving a fine of 1,000 baht for not using a distance meter)? But that's just crazy talk

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...

normally get uber leaving Sukhumvit for home around 2 or 3am. Costs 50% more than a normal taxi but saves the hassle of finding a metered taxi at that time of night. city center and airports, geting metered non scammy taxis are difficult fo find.outside thise areas is pretty much fine.