Uber, easy taxi, etc.

simagu

I hate using taxis as they either use bad routes with high traffic or try to rip you off.

I love using uber on the other hand. I've taken it for trips under 1km and to/from the airport. Just really tough during certain times when the wait times go up to 12mins+. I use it every chance I get as they're held more accountable.

• 3 months later...

I always Uber when in Australia, but have never tried BKK but would certainly be my preferred option if they can get it right (and I don't mind waiting a while if I know one is on the way).

One (may seem slightly dumb) question if anyone can help - is the Uber app universal? (i.e. will my current account I use in Aust work in BKK)??

Cheers all

I can not confirm if Uber is universal, but my USA uber account worked in BKK, so I think it is.

great for longer rides and/or being a place that taxis don't frequent.  Much, much cheaper than taxis as well

The same app works around the world. Using my AUS app in Europe and USA as well.

BUT

Uber is hit and miss in BKK. Had some great rides but BKK drivers aren't great. I want to make an "asian drivers" joke but the average BKK driver as no idea.

Taxis in BKK are good & cheap as a rule. If you get a dickhead, just get another one.

Also might have just been by chance but when I landed at the airport and fired up the app it gave me 35 baht off each trip (for 6 trips) saying welcome to bangkok also there are promo codes on the uber bangkok webisite that can save a few $$