Best spot for american style breakfast?

On 8/10/2015 at 2:10 PM, Irishfella said:
On 7/24/2015 at 11:45 PM, curious one said:

For me, have to go with Bourbon Street...

http://www.bourbonstbkk.com/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks nice. Have you stayed here?

Just discovered Bourbon Street and i had a great dinner.  really enjoyed it.  i hadn't even thought of it for breakfast.  i will have to check it out.

• 3 years later...
On 8/15/2020 at 5:30 PM, Pattayabobb said:

Just discovered Bourbon Street and i had a great dinner.  really enjoyed it.  i hadn't even thought of it for breakfast.  i will have to check it out.

As far as I know, Bourbon Street is the only place in Thailand you can get Crab Cake Eggs Benedict.

IMG_20230923_113834.thumb.jpg.781c6ecb8eab9cc9981e4e5539ba4a7b.jpg

haven't been there but a lot of very keen food obsessed ppl recommend Fran's, somewhere in Sathon area.

my fav downtown/Suk brekky is Chez LN on Soi 11 (quite far in, on right side well past Ambassador hotel). as you'd guess from the name it's French. but it's real French. only place i've been in all of Thailand so far that does a Paris style French omelette (paris style are a little runny on the inside and not brown at all on the outside, and nothing like Murican omelettes, they don't have a lot of junk on the inside, just pure well crafted egg. they put a thin slice of good cheese on top at Chez LN.

why can't you get this kind of omelette everywhere? BECAUSE IT'S REALLY FUCKING HARD to get it right every time. when i do at home i get about 1 in 5 right lol

Chez LN has replaced Artis Coffee. Artis has the best coffee in lower Suk IMO, and their croissant sammiches are quite good, but the Chez LN omelette blew my mind so much this morning i had 2.

30 minutes ago, little_me said:

For a TRUE AMERICAN style breakfast, there is a McDonald's by the Robinson's between Soi 17 and 19 and another by Soi 5, and Starbucks all over the place.

are you American? i am, and i don't know too many people who would touch that corporate swill with a barge pole.

I suspect you think cliches are hilarious. unfortunately, they're just cliches.

4 hours ago, schnytzal said:

are you American? i am, and i don't know too many people who would touch that corporate swill with a barge pole.

I am American.

And I currently live in America.

If you think Americans don't eat that shit, it's obviously been a while since you drove past and saw how long the lines at the drive through's are (peak covo it was common for them to be out into the streets blocking traffic).  Or how fat most of us are (You'd think a doctor would tell me I'm overweight and at least suggest thinking about it, but they just don't bother, and being just over the NHS obesity cutoff, probably just figure I'm already better than most, including any of the doctor's I've seen).

As far as the "cliche", I think there's very little about breakfast "style" standardized across America. Anything from omelettes, bacon / sausage and eggs, pancakes, toast, cereal, yogurt and fruit, donuts etc. are pretty common. And being pretty bad is also VERY common in America (i.e. IHOP, Perkins, Denny's). Eggs Benedict on the other hand, I've seen maybe one restaurant ever have that on it's menu (in America).

Edited by little_me

5 hours ago, little_me said:

If you think Americans don't eat that shit, it's obviously been a while since you drove past and saw how long the lines at the drive through's are (peak covo it was common for them to be out into the streets blocking traffic).  Or how fat most of us are (You'd think a doctor would tell me I'm overweight and at least suggest thinking about it, but they just don't bother, and being just over the NHS obesity cutoff, probably just figure I'm already better than most, including any of the doctor's I've seen).

points taken. i have seen all this but have convinced myself those queueing up at the golden arches are an alien species. you're correct it's been a while since i spent significant time in the states, but it's happening HERE too. i moved here in 2005 and young kids are getting fatter.

doctors appear to have just given up on lifestyle advice. blood sugar is high? STOP DRINKING SODA IT'LL HELP... but no ppl ain't doing that so, medication. shit half the docs admit they don't take their own advice (everywhere, not unique to Murica).

i don't entirely hate Starfucks as it's a good standard place to have a meeting. the coffee isn't good but it isn't terrible and they're literally everywhere on Earth so if you've got work stuff to do you know what to expect.

5 hours ago, little_me said:

As far as the "cliche", I think there's very little about breakfast "style" standardized across America. Anything from omelettes, bacon / sausage and eggs, pancakes, toast, cereal, yogurt and fruit, donuts etc. are pretty common. And being pretty bad is also VERY common in America (i.e. IHOP, Perkins, Denny's). Eggs Benedict on the other hand, I've seen maybe one restaurant ever have that on it's menu (in America).

THIS.

there are a grteat many really interesting, really good Murican breakfasts (southern biscuits, tex mex omelette that's really scrambled eggs with lots of stuff in it and folded, corned beef hash and eggs, etc). (not all optimal for health but cn be delicious)

i've seen tons of eggs benedict on menus in America... but i choose restaurants carefully because bad food pisses me off.

for American food in Thailand i'd love to find corned beef hash and eggs but i only knew one place in NYC when i lived there that did it well so i might as well carry on doing it at home...

Starbucks is more of a milk shake stand than coffee shop anymore... It's pretty rare to see anyone get just a cup of drip coffee, hugely outnumbered by people getting all these other things with no coffee at all in them.

And being middle aged living in America almost all my life, I don't think I've ever actually eaten corned beef and hash.  I can't remember ever being with someone else who's ordered it. I'm sure I've seen it on a menu somewhere but generally considered corned beef to be some Irish cliche to have on St. Patrick's day with green beer...

Eggs Benedict, I've been told, is pretty horrible if not done very well.  And the only place I remember having it was at a place up the street from an office I worked that was the kinda hole in the wall with a reputation for doing it very well. It was in the basement of some 100 year old hotel in downtown Seattle, kinda hole in the wall dive bar kinda place with 3" thick wood doors that wouldn't close all the way in winter, but with white tablecloths and waiters in pressed shirts. But it was a German restaurant, with sauerkraut, knackwurst, etc., so I'm not sure how "American" that is if you're looking for it in Bangkok...

(and the fattest girl I remember ever seeing in Thailand, real flabby like twice as big as she should be kinda fat, was the cashier at a krispy kreme in Silom.  Those donuts are WAY too popular, watching people carry around boxes of them at Don Muang couple years ago waiting for a flight to Khon Kaen...)