I have been in Yaowarat a couple times. Just went with my colleagues to have the shark fin and swallow's nest soup years ago. Not joining the food tour. Now, most of us would not eat the shark fin soup anymore.

FYI, the traffic from/to Sukhumvit and Yaowarat is really bad. I think it is about 20 km one way but that will take you an hour or 1 1/2 hour in the evening. So, go there to have just dinner will take about 4 hours or more. 

Yes, by taxi. Even in the evening, my colleagues and I didn't plan to take the MRT then walk or looking for a taxi/tuk tuk in a 30+ C degree temperature. The cost of a taxi ride from Sukhumvit to Yaowarat would be about the same as 3 people take the MRT and then taxi/tuk tuk. You just waste the time on the road.

Edited by wtko3888

Btw if you are into Thai food in general I highly recommend checking out Mark Wiens' YouTube channel. He has tonnes of videos on different restaurants, street food best locations ect watch those and you don't really need to pay to go on a 'food tour'.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Btw if you are into Thai food in general I highly recommend checking out Mark Wiens' YouTube channel. He has tonnes of videos on different restaurants, street food best locations ect watch those and you don't really need to pay to go on a 'food tour'.

The O face he makes whenever he takes a bite of anything is so over the top...

I've met Mark. I agree his emoting is exaggerated but he's a really friendly guy and his advice tends to be a great starting point even though I don't always agree with him.

If anyone is interested I may be able to act as a guide in exchange for a beer or two. I'm not a certified expert but I've been learning about food in Bangkok for some time, I can read menus and order according to preferences and I've got experience cooking in fine dining restaurants so most of what we eat I can roughly explain how it's made.

Professional food tours can be nice if you're strapped for time. I really enjoyed them in Vietnam but in Thailand I've not had any need.

Just noticed this thread is a year old but whatever.

• 2 weeks later...

Just noticed this thread is a year old but whatever.

Haha - well since its bumped at this point.

I did do the bangkok midnight food tour. The experience was pretty good, small group tried out a LOT of food. Saw a lot and it was quite fun. The only gripe was that it was 1900B per person....reasonable for a food tour in the west. But quite expensive for one in thailand.....but price aside i did enjoy the experience.