Songkran Experiences.

Dear members,

What should I expect in Bangkok during the biggest water party in the world? I know is hot and I will be wet.

After several visits to Bangkok, next April is going to be my first Songkran.

Any experiences, advice to share?

Thank you.

I will be in bkk during April also, but I purposely booked my trip a few days after Songkran. LOL, I hate getting wet, dirty, and dealing with crazy crowds etc. lol

If you don't mind it, it looks like a very fun time! Enjoy your trip! I'll be there beginning April 19th

It is definitely one of the things you have to tick off on the Bucket list. (Things to do before you kick the bucket and die!). But in saying that one day is enough... The fun experience was over for me after that. I have missed the last two years and hope I miss the next however many.... signed.. cranky old fart... 

• 1 month later...

Dear members,

What should I expect in Bangkok during the biggest water party in the world? I know is hot and I will be wet.

After several visits to Bangkok, next April is going to be my first Songkran.

Any experiences, advice to share?

Thank you.

I went last year, and I'm going again this year.  Expect people to be throwing water, shooting water, scooping water, etc. non-stop from about 9 in the morning to at least midnight.  You'd think that people would get tired of it after an hour or so, but no, they are at it relentlessly.

There are a couple of safe havens:  all of the shopping malls that I went into made everybody empty out their water guns before they could go inside.   Ditto for hotels, or at least for the one I was staying at.  Three guys got on the elevator with their water guns all loaded up.  They were nice enough to ask me if I wanted a spray, but I very courteously turned them down.   I appreciate their asking me, and I told them that.  The bars at Nana Plaza also will not allow any of that to go on, and they are pretty strict about it. 

You can either try to remain dry, or go out expecting to get wet.  I have a look that can stop all but the most foolhardy of people, but once you get wet, then you might as well hang it up.  I stayed dry from the corner of where the Nana  go-go bars start all the way to the first soi before I caught it in the face from a guy who was shooting at someone across the road.  After that, it was open season on me.  Wear clothes you don't mind getting wet. 

If you are carrying a camera or smart phone, be sure to put it in a bag that will keep it dry.  Some idiot never found out how close he came to losing all of his teeth, because he was splashing water on my left side.  If he had been splashing water on my right side, where I was keeping my expensive camera in a non-water-proof bag, he would still be picking his teeth up off the sidewalk. 

Either way, be prepared to wrench the water out of your clothes when you get back to the hotel room.  Either they will be soaked from water being thrown on you, or they will be soaked from the heat of the day.  There are no cool breezes during that time of year, so be prepared for that.

Oh, and a lot of businesses close during this time, so you might want to check to make sure that any that you plan on visiting will be open.  If they have a website, check there.  Most massage parlors and bars will be open, so no need to worry about that.

I didn't have any problems with pickpockets or ruffians, but always be alert.

That's all that I can think of right now, but I'm sure a couple of other things will pop up before too long.  I hope this is helpful.

• 5 months later...

I will be in bkk during April also, but I purposely booked my trip a few days after Songkran. LOL, I hate getting wet, dirty, and dealing with crazy crowds etc. lol

If you don't mind it, it looks like a very fun time! Enjoy your trip! I'll be there beginning April 19th

two years ago I changed my dates because I found out about the songkran ,After reading all the negative posts about it ,I still wish I had at least been their for a day or so to see for myself !

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Songkran Sanuk MakMak! i love Songkran! i've been three times in the last ten years. If i lived there i might get fed up with it, but if you're on vacation, and not the super serious type that still likes to play.... even if you are it's worth going once. It's a great way to meet Thais outside the tourist business, maybe make life long friends. 

Socially it's important. Despite Thais outward projection of tolerance, society is conservative. they have a fairly rigid class system, they have to tamp down their emotions alot. Songkran is a good relief valve.

With the nation in mourning for a year, Songkran may be tamped down some, but i doubt it.

A little advice if you take the plunge: protect your eyes, don't drink laokhao, and DO NOT get on a motorcycle taxi!

My Songkran experience was actually in Patts and I left a couple days before the full insanity set in. From the videos I had seen prior to going I didn't think it would be my proverbial cup of tea, but have to say it turned out to be the most fun I've had in years.

Immerse yourself in it and it's just a fucking blast.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Songkran is quickly approaching. Never been there during that before. Are people basically splashing you wherever you go? So if I jump off the MRT to go to my hotel just across the street, I can expect myself and my baggage to be soaked no matter what?

Or is the craziness mostly limited to areas where people typically gather, such as outside bars and such?

Songkran is quickly approaching. Never been there during that before. Are people basically splashing you wherever you go? So if I jump off the MRT to go to my hotel just across the street, I can expect myself and my baggage to be soaked no matter what?

Or is the craziness mostly limited to areas where people typically gather, such as outside bars and such?

It's basically everywhere except in the BTS and indoors. And it usually slowly calms down once the sun goes down. Except for the bar/entertainment/clubs area where from my personal experience, I have been shot with water guns walking from soi 2 to soi 4 around 8pm.

But if you look like you have somewhere important to go (wearing a suit), or with children (baby stroller) or like you said dragging luggage then maybe they will not splash you with water.

But then again I can't be sure. No one can. This is thailand after all.

Another option would be to just take a cab from the airport directly to your hotel.