Songkran Experiences.

Had an excellent time in 2016 with wife and step daughter.    We however experienced a huge thunder storm just before hand with the rain as pouring as hard as anything and they would not go out in that however they were keen on getting soaked in even colder water during the festival.  So after the rain stopped we went out not far from our hotel and all got soaked.  Not many westerners as it was first day and not fully in swing so a lot of people thought it good to get me.  I put my phone in one of the water proof plastic holders and managed to film quite a few long sessions.

As long as you

A. smile and relax and get into the spirit of it, and

B. don't wear or carry anything you don't want ruined, it's fun.

Lovely to see the wee Thai kids having fun. Once i probably enough though. I had my 'once' about 15 years ago; avoid it if i can now (more a reflection on me than on Songkran).

The only genuinely annoying aspect of it is the drunken tourist numbskulls who take it too far then (in an instance I witnessed) loudly demand a fight when some unsuspecting soul on his way to work dares to grumble about an inebriated piss-artist drenching his iPhone and work papers as he innocently crosses the street.

The Thais will make eye contact and check first that you're game for a soaking (and graciously leave you alone if you don't look like you're part of the party); the idiot falang drunkards falling out of the bar with 3 litre pump guns and no idea what the festival's really about will fire first and ask questions later.

Like life, it's what you make it: make it great, and you'll have fun. Up to you.

Tom Tit  :blink:

Edited by Tom Tit