For the faint of heart...

For those that have walked by the bug lady on Soi 4 again and again yet have not indulged I present a reasonable facsimile.

TJ bug flavored.jpg

These taste just like the crickets I had last year. Texture aside they are an exact match. 

2015-12-27 01.30.57.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Sweet another that lost his virginity. They were surprisingly good which is why I never looked while she was feeding them to me. It was not until we sat down at the street restaurant that I saw the bag and it's contents.

• 1 month later...

Anyone know if these Isaan ppl always use the same spices? Had a few different bags now and then. Always tested bacon. Anyway great with a beer. Much healthier and safer then those "nuts" served in bars.

A guy on one of these board gave me a good excuse to never eat bugs in Bangkok....

He mentioned the idea of how they collected all these bugs in the first place, which probably involved a can of bug spray.

So, that's my second excuse. First is, they just don't look like something I want to eat.

And, my wife's from Isaan, she won't eat them, and doesn't want me to either (but everyone else in her family will eat them).

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

I have tried the crickets and they had good taste. I have not had the courage to try the larger bugs yet. Anyone have a perspective on those?That being said I would rather have the crickets than the grilled chicken livers on a stick, that was a texture and taste nightmare.

• 4 weeks later...

In front of Nana, choice of fresh chicken on a stick or bugs. While they may taste the same, chicken won by a hair. Did I mention the chicken had hair on its leg? On an aside, bugs will also be one of the mainstays for protein in the future for the masses. Hopefully, I won't be part of those masses.  :unsure: