Thailand first female tourist official trying to clean Thailand

wanderer9577

Various high level officials have been banging on about quality over mass tourism for a while now. Trouble is that Thailand isn't really a quality destination apart from a few hotels and shopping. I'd have thought that in the mess Thailand currently is, that it should be grateful for the tourists, quality or otherwise, that still come.

And how do you define quality?

What even defines a quality destination? NYC, London, Paris & Tokyo etc, etc. Yes good infrastructure but one has to pay for that. I was in Maldives last year, the beaches are beautiful as are the hotels and service but it is very expensive and after 3 days it was just boring. Give me the subways of NYC and the double decker buses of London and the khlongs and markets of Bangkok any time. As for the rest of Thailand its almost all the same, beaches or mountains, heaps of temples. I guess the tour buses filled with Chinese, Russians, Indians etc etc clambering on unsafe ferries or on unsafe diving trips and being dragged around temples and crocodile farms are the quality tourists they prefer.

• 3 weeks later...