Ayutthaya

Rolondo

Has anyone made the trip by train to Ayutthaya from Bangkok,

I'm thinking of trying to do this in a day trip, say leave around 9am from Lamphong station, spending 6 hours or so doing the

temples and then the train back.

Is this feasible ? is 6 hours enough to go around this magnificent old city, should I hire a bike to get around, or are the tuk tuks better

due to the distances involved.

IMG_7777.JPG

Thailand-2013-390_web-lrg.jpg

• Upvote 1

I go there regularly and it is quite a large place. The idea of hiring a bike or tuk tuk is a good one. There are so many places to see and visit.

I have been up on the slow train, you can then hire a tuk tuk to take you around the temple. 

I got a taxi back into Bangkok - but to be honest it was awhile ago so can remember the amount of time it took. 

Its nice trip if you get chance.

Many years ago I've done the slow train up as well, it was pleasant and slow and gives a great opportunity for people watching Thais.

I rented a bicycle to get around and would recommend that. It was very peaceful to glide around the majestic ruins in quiet.

But I stayed the night there at a backpackers guest house. I think I also took a local river cruise through the waterway that goes around the ruins IIRC. Enjoyed the local guesthouse and restaurant. Not the hustle and bustle of the city, but peaceful and serene. I recall eating some insanely spicy and delicious dish on a restaurant balcony over the river.

Great memories. Enjoy!

It should run around 1,000 baht one-way between Bangkok and Ayutthaya ...

Many years ago I've done the slow train up as well, it was pleasant and slow and gives a great opportunity for people watching Thais.

I rented a bicycle to get around and would recommend that. It was very peaceful to glide around the majestic ruins in quiet.

But I stayed the night there at a backpackers guest house. I think I also took a local river cruise through the waterway that goes around the ruins IIRC. Enjoyed the local guesthouse and restaurant. Not the hustle and bustle of the city, but peaceful and serene. I recall eating some insanely spicy and delicious dish on a restaurant balcony over the river.

Great memories. Enjoy!

I have been up on the slow train, you can then hire a tuk tuk to take you around the temple. 

I got a taxi back into Bangkok - but to be honest it was awhile ago so can remember the amount of time it took. 

Its nice trip if you get chance.

I go there regularly and it is quite a large place. The idea of hiring a bike or tuk tuk is a good one. There are so many places to see and visit.

I took a tour which included the boat trip from BKK then a guide/bus in Ayutthaya.  Lots of fun and worth it.

Thanks for the info guys, 

I think bike and train is the best for me.

Edited by Rolondo