Truvada, aids prevention

BigAfarang

I took Truvada, which is shown to be 97% effective in reducing the chance of contracting aids when taken properly. I took it for a week before my trip, throughout the trip, and for a week after. Definitely made me comfortable enough for BBFS. Although that may have led to other problems, ad I mentioned in a post under newbie advice.

Anyone else taken this for mongering trips?

• Upvote 1

Doesn't prevent the more likely scenario or Herpes, HPV, Gonorrhea, Syphilis, Chlamydia, general UTI or pregnancy.

Cheap condom is more effective than this $50 tablet... If you're only worried about HIV, then you are cray cray :lol:

I  have to agree with Diabolic why spend all that money when a condom is much better and protects against more things. Some time back I saw some data that indicated for a man the risk of getting HIV from 1 off straight sex with an HIV infected girl was quite low provided there was no damaged skin on your cock. Not that I will take the risk and I cover up. I believe the HIV virus is not very robust luckily and can only survive in limited situations.

Insurance covered most of it, about $10 a pill for me. Only taken leading up to asnd during trip. I initially was taking it just as insurance against condom failure. Seemed worth it.

Also, not sure why this happened, but condoms ain't getting it done for me anymore. Can't seem to keep it up with one on. And I'm def not done plowing the rice paddies yet. May try them again next year with the aid of viagara.

As far as the other STDs, they are a concern, but I'm also gonna take doxycycline prophylactically. I read a study from Spain amongst gay men that said it dramatically reduced the spread of ghonnorhea and syphillis.

And yes diabolic "cray cray" is asbout spot on at this point.