Taxi or Hotel Shuttle from Airport in Bangkok

KenB

I will be arriving in Bangkok next week late on Wednesday (almost midnight) after the BTS stops by the time I get through customs an get my bags. So I was wondering if it would be better to just get a taxi out side or pay for the shuttle from the hotel.

The hotel I am staying at wants to charge 1200baht including all toll way charges and they want me to e-mail them my flight info and credit card information. I don't feel to comfortable with e-mailing my CC info as it isn't secure but was wonder if getting a taxi would be any cheaper.

To be clear, it is not the BTS that runs from the airport (BKK), it is the Airport Rail Link.  You have to change to the BTS at Phaya Thai, at the end of the Airport Rail Link line.

If it is your first time to Bangkok, get a taxi.  But, if you know where you want to go, the Airport Rail Link, MRT and BTS can get to you close to your hotel for less than 100 Baht.

As the popular phrasing goes "Up to you". I have allowed the hotel to arrange pick up in the past, however, I usually book this while on the hotel website. This is nice as they are standing at the exit with a your name on a placard and you simply hop in and go. They already know where you are going  and the cars are usually quite nice and very clean in comparison to just any old taxi. The Taxis on the lower level are a less expensive option but some are quite worn out and held together with a prayer and some duct-tape. Then there is the train which is very inexpensive but kind of a chore as you must change to the BTS to further your journey. Even then you must either schlep with your bag/s down the street to your hotel or then get a taxi. The choice is yours of course. If you are not on a miserly budget I have found the hotel cars to be the least hassle and most pleasant experience thus far.

Edited by Viandefraich

As the popular phrasing goes "Up to you". I have allowed the hotel to arrange pick up in the past, however, I usually book this while on the hotel website. This is nice as they are standing at the exit with a your name on a placard and you simply hop in and go. They already know where you are going and the cars are usually quite nice and very clean in comparison to just any old taxi. The Taxis on the lower level are a less expensive option but some are quite worn out and held together with a prayer and some duct-tape. Then there is the train which is very inexpensive but kind of a chore as you must change to the BTS to further your journey. Even then you must either schlep with your bag/s down the street to your hotel or then get a taxi. The choice is yours of course. If you are not on a miserly budget I have found the hotel cars to be the least hassle and most pleasant experience thus far.

If you don't mind spending triple what a taxi will cost, then yes by all means, the hotel car service will work fine.

Never had a problem with poorly maintained taxis but that can happen. Just make sure the taxi looks good before you take off.

Just make sure taxi puts on meter. Some do try a flat rate which is usually more. Still will probably be half what the hotel is looking for.

The fastest and easiest way I found is taking the ARL (40 baht) to Makkasan station then use a Uber to your location (100 baht) around asok area. 

If there is heavy traffic and you are traveling light then you can walk (5-10min) over to Phetchaburi MRT (36 baht) and ride it down to Asok from here you can either use grab taxi or uber or BTS to final station. 

Thanks for the information guys. I think i'm going to just go with a taxi at the airport since I will be arriving so late (just before midnight) and it will be cheaper than the hotel car. This will not be my first time to Thailand just my first extended stay in Bangkok. Before when I arrived I would usually just get a taxi straight to Pattaya. So I'm not a Newbie (advanced member on Pattaya Addicts) just wasn't sure about the cost of a taxi to hotel by NEP. Again thanks for the information.

I've traveled to Bkk a number of times and always take taxi from stand. Here are the worst things that have happened to me:

Driver makes me ask a number of times to put on meter. Have to politely stand your ground.

Driver won't lift my bag into trunk, I have to do it myself. That's a clear sign to me he's not expecting a tip. Because he's not getting one. (This has happened to me in the states with hotel car services as well. It's a bad start with hotel service personnel to not tip them though, if you expect good service at the hotel during your stay. And that's a dilemma in the states. Not likely to happen in BKK because the culture isn't as tip fueled).

Driver stops at gas station to get fuel while meter is running and then tries to keep change from fare without asking. My pet peeve. Tipped him anyway after he returned my change but not as much as I would've if he had. And I let him know as we both smiled at each other.

Ha ha, roger all those, happened to me.

Some taxi drivers also try their damnest to engage you in conversation ('First time Thailand?' 'Go Pattaya tomorrow?' 'Want Thai lady?'). Fishing for a tip, basically. Just tell them you're there on business and stick your headphones on.

Taxi from airport to hotel should be 300 baht max, including highway tolls (have small notes ready for those: 25 and 50 baht respectively, if I recall correctly?). Make sure you ask for the meter on. He might tell you it's 'broken'. He's lying. Make to get out of the cab, and it'll soon miraculously fix itself and he'll turn it on. I usually round whatever the taxi fare comes to to 400 baht (so he gets 100 baht tip, which is perhaps extravagant), and he'll leave you a happy men.

Around midnight, roads won't be busy.

No advantage at all to take the shuttle. Waste of money. 800 baht? (1200 for shuttle vs. 400 taxi.) You'll just about get a short time for that at Nana hotel car park after midnight.  :D

Have fun.

Tom Tit  :blink:

• 4 months later...