Would you live near Nana/Soi Cowboy?

• 1 month later...

No I wouldn't because since I live / work here I would be far too tempted to go for "1 drink" and end up mongering every night.  Not good for the wallet or my work performance.  I live 4 BTS stops away from those areas.... just enough distance to not tempt me every day but still close enough when needed ;)

• 1 month later...

I have always stayed at Majestic Suites except one time. Way back in 2008, my buddy convinced me to stay for couple of days on phetchaburi road, can't remember the hotel name which was amistake. We had to smuggle a girl in, as the security was very strict. I like the Nana area due to action and thai food availability 

I have always stayed at Majestic Suites except one time. Way back in 2008, my buddy convinced me to stay for couple of days on phetchaburi road, can't remember the hotel name which was amistake. We had to smuggle a girl in, as the security was very strict. I like the Nana area due to action and thai food availability 

I think the thread is discussing living on a more permanent basis due to work, retirement and not on holiday.

I have stayed six months very close to Nana Plaza, but I got really tired of this RLD tourist area and moved. Now I think the best is to stay close to an skytrain station and then go to Soi Cowboy and Nana and also to Terminal 21 which has a great food court. The only negative with not staying in lower Sukhumvit is that you have to travel back with the girl for the night to your place or pay for a short time hotel.

• 3 weeks later...

A mate of mine brought an apartment on soi 4 and lived there , 

Thought he had hit the jackpot in the beginning , 

Ended up becoming too much for him so  he rented it out and moved somewhere quieter , ended up selling it 

• 4 weeks later...

There's a saying: don't shit where you sleep.

I wouldn't stay along lower sukhumvit. It's too crowded too expensive and too many farangs.

Instead I stay in a nice condo with plenty of both locals and expats just a 5-10 min motocy ride to soi cowboy. Paying less than 15k too!

We live in Huai Khwang which is 4 MRT stops north of Sukhumvit. Our one bedroom condo costs 17000 a month, is on the 18th floor of a modern building with excellent security and building management services. Our unit has a spectacular 180 degree view of central Bangkok, fully furnished, has aircon and a fully equipped kitchen. It is right on top of the MRT station so access to the naughty areas is quick and cheap, not that my TGF would allow me out late at night. :( Even a taxi fare late at 3am is less than 100 baht. The security staff would not be bothered by you bringing back various ladies each night, unlike many hotels that are not guest friendly. I have seen a few Ladyboys in the lift and our foyer a few times and they dress like ones who might be working around Nana.

The area is very Thai and I rarely see other farangs around here although there are a number of them in our building. There is a night market here, loads of other facilities but nothing farang oriented. The night market is busy right through to 4-5am when there are many young ladies wandering about. I suspect many are bargirls from Nana and Cowboy buying food after work. I have never tried talking to any because I am taken, but you might be lucky if you show an interest. be careful though, they might not be working girls.

We like living here and are now halfway through our 2nd one year lease. You can possibly get a 6 month lease although I think the owners usually prefer 12 month leases. My reply is probably a little late for your trip, but it might be of use for others or for you in the future.

• 4 weeks later...

I would find a nice place on the BTS or MRT but not directly near either location. Also with 6 months to play with I would think about spending maybe 2-3 months in BKK, then maybe a 3-4 weeks in Chaing Mai, Phuket, and Pattaya and then close it out back in BKK.  

• 2 weeks later...

I never understood that whole “wanna be close to the action” mindset.

Everything is closely accessible in bkk, so why not pick a nice neighborhood and area? You’re still within $5 of most places you want to be at.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk