2 Wheel Taxis

null

What are the fares like and is there a maximum distance they will cover? More importantly, are they safe?

do you mean motocycle taxis?

If yes then fares typically start from 10 - 20 baht and then range to 150 and above. If you are a farang, be prepared to be quoted 50% or even 100% more than what the cost would be. For example I took a motosai taxi from Nana to Sukhumvit Soi 11 and paid 40 baht (which is already quite expensive, but given its in a tourist area), but have overheard other motosai taxi's charging 150 baht for the same distance. However, in more local districts, the price is obviously lower. For example from my condo in Rama 9 to Rama 9 MRT was 20 baht, from my condo to Nana was 80 baht, from my condo to Hwai Kwang MRT was 50 baht, and from my condo to Esplanade was 40 baht.

How I usually judge a price is 20 baht for every MRT/BTS stop. So for instance from my condo to Nana: Condo to Rama 9 MRT: 20 baht; Rama 9 to Sukhumvit is 2 stops so 40 baht, and Asoke to Nana is 1 stop so 20 baht. In total 80 baht.

There isnt a maximum distance they will cover, but they wont go super far either. And no they are not the safest mode of transportation. They are however, probably the fastest.

Edited by davvvid

do you mean motocycle taxis?

If yes then fares typically start from 10 - 20 baht and then range to 150 and above. If you are a farang, be prepared to be quoted 50% or even 100% more than what the cost would be. For example I took a motosai taxi from Nana to Sukhumvit Soi 11 and paid 40 baht (which is already quite expensive, but given its in a tourist area), but have overheard other motosai taxi's charging 150 baht for the same distance. However, in more local districts, the price is obviously lower. For example from my condo in Rama 9 to Rama 9 MRT was 20 baht, from my condo to Nana was 80 baht, from my condo to Hwai Kwang MRT was 50 baht, and from my condo to Esplanade was 40 baht.

How I usually judge a price is 20 baht for every MRT/BTS stop. So for instance from my condo to Nana: Condo to Rama 9 MRT: 20 baht; Rama 9 to Sukhumvit is 2 stops so 40 baht, and Asoke to Nana is 1 stop so 20 baht. In total 80 baht.

There isnt a maximum distance they will cover, but they wont go super far either. And no they are not the safest mode of transportation. They are however, probably the fastest.

nice explanation there cheers for taking the time.

They are really not safe. Thailand traffic casualty statistics are terrible. Road fatality rate are ranked number two in the world. Motorbike accidents and tourist are over-represented. Tourist versus resident road fatality risks are two times higher. When you are on a motorcycle taxi you are part of these statistics, most likely not wearing a helmet and at nighttime you are probably not be sober. Some of the moto taxi driver are young wreckless drivers.

A surprisingly large number of the bar girls have scaring from a motorbike accident on their body (or at least so they say..)

I still use them sometimes when the are no options, as they are quick in traffic or if I am just going down a quiet soi daytime. Pick an experienced (older?) driver and ask him to go slowly if he is speeding.

Thanks @Davvvid and @Hermansen

I think I will stick with 2 legs. At least, I will be able to run into FLs rather than hospitals ????

There's plenty of normal taxis you can flag down. You won't save more than a few baht by choosing a motorcycle over a normal.

Also if you go with a motorcycle guy, ask the price before hand. A couple times I've buckled and took a motorbike and they tried to way overcharge me when we arrived to the destination. If it's a driver you don't know, they won't tell you the price up front so they can make up whatever price they want at the end.

Edited by Diabolic

What is the "standard" price for a moto between SC and NEP? 40-50b?

For locals it should honestly be 20 or 30 ฿. For farangs probably they start the price at 200 ฿. I would accept anything less than 50 ฿.

If you like adrenalin tell the rider you are late for an appointment can you get me there quick, or, If you have a friend with you put a bet on with the riders, the first bike to arrive at destination gets a tip. More fun than having sex without a condom!

If you like adrenalin tell the rider you are late for an appointment can you get me there quick, or, If you have a friend with you put a bet on with the riders, the first bike to arrive at destination gets a tip. More fun than having sex without a condom!

But you must upgrade your life insurance policy first????

Edited by null

Tuktuks are right bastards. I would just avoid them unless u have a Thai gf/companion with you. Tried getting me to pay 300B to go from terminal 21 to queen park plaza yes I laughed in his face.

Yeah they are a ripoff unless you know how to take one, and they are more for the uniqueness and experience more than anything else. To be fair though, in the more local areas, they usually do charge local prices and rarely rip you off.