Uber Vs Taxi

Kuku

I normally take a taxi from BKK to my Hotel on Sukhumvit. What I normally do is go up to the departure terminal and get a taxi for about 400 Baht. Normally the taxis at the arrival terminal ask 700-1000 Baht. This time, I would like to try Uber. Has anyone tried Uber and if so how was the experience?

Thanks in advance

Are you bypassing the Taxi meter stand at the airport? I have never even talked to a taxi driver when using a metered taxi upon arrival. They automatically turn the meter on and its only 400 baht or so going to Asoke.

I use Uber sometimes for trips around the city, but I know they have flat rates from some airports. Google "Bkk Uber Airport" and you will read reports of people saying the Uber fee is 1000 baht. Not sure if its still like that, but its worth reading if you plan to do this. If not, the Uber fees are generally just slightly cheaper than a taxi, so you won't save much. It'll be a lot more convenient and time saving just to do a taxi at the airport since they are already waiting.

Are you bypassing the Taxi meter stand at the airport? I have never even talked to a taxi driver when using a metered taxi upon arrival. They automatically turn the meter on and its only 400 baht or so going to Asoke.

I use Uber sometimes for trips around the city, but I know they have flat rates from some airports. Google "Bkk Uber Airport" and you will read reports of people saying the Uber fee is 1000 baht. Not sure if its still like that, but its worth reading if you plan to do this. If not, the Uber fees are generally just slightly cheaper than a taxi, so you won't save much. It'll be a lot more convenient and time saving just to do a taxi at the airport since they are already waiting.

I have not asked for metered taxi from arrival. The prices quoted to me were usually agents standing at the arrival area. The first time if I remember correctly, I paid around 700 Baht. So since then, I have walked up and got one of the taxies that were dropping off passengers. 

Well, Thanks for the advise. I will try the metered taxi. Also I will check the Uber fare on my app. I have never used Uber outside the US. Does it work the same way everywhere in the world?

I am in BKK and on my Uber app it is estimating a trip to the Airport as a little over 600 baht, which is more than what a metered taxi would cost me. It's also estimating a trip to Pattaya as 2300 baht. I'm not sure if they are trying to factor bad traffic in or something, but those rates are more than what they used to be. They might have increased fares or something.

When you arrive at the airport, follow the sign to the taxi stand and there is a uniformed attendant that will ask you where you're going and she writes it down and informs the taxi for you. They will automatically turn the meter on if you go to the meter stand. The cost is 50 baht plus whatever the meter shows. Meter usually shows about 300-350 and plus the 50 surcharge, it comes to about 400 baht.

The driver asked me for some tolls along the way last time (first time using a taxi), I wasn't sure if the prick was scamming me or not. I think it was 3 tolls - 20, 40, 20 or something similar. Was this a scam and should have been included?

The driver asked me for some tolls along the way last time (first time using a taxi), I wasn't sure if the prick was scamming me or not. I think it was 3 tolls - 20, 40, 20 or something similar. Was this a scam and should have been included?

It's not a scam. When you approach the tollway, you see a sign how much the toll is. The tollway is not included in the price. Or you should ask for a fixed price up in front, including tolls, but you might end up more expensive than using the meter.

Taxi scams from the airport are almost a thing of the past.  They now have ticket machines at the queue which gives you the name and registration number of the taxi driver, and all taxis will use the meter (if you get them from the official queue).  And yes there is legit a 50 THB surcharge for getting a taxi from the airport and yes you are responsible for paying the toll.  

The most direct way from Swampy to Asok there is no tolls, so if he says there is then he's taking you a long way around.  (Most direct way is the non toll freeway, connect onto Petchburi then down Asok.)  From the old Don Muang airport to Asok there is a tollway and it can be worth paying for during the day, will save you probably 20 or 30 minutes off the journey.

The most direct way from Swampy to Asok there is no tolls, so if he says there is then he's taking you a long way around.  (Most direct way is the non toll freeway, connect onto Petchburi then down Asok.)  

Would you have this route? I've always paid tolls (2) even when I booked a car which included tolls.

The most direct way from Swampy to Asok there is no tolls, so if he says there is then he's taking you a long way around.  (Most direct way is the non toll freeway, connect onto Petchburi then down Asok.)  

I have not asked for metered taxi from arrival. The prices quoted to me were usually agents standing at the arrival area. The first time if I remember correctly, I paid around 700 Baht. So since then, I have walked up and got one of the taxies that were dropping off passengers. 

Well, Thanks for the advise. I will try the metered taxi. Also I will check the Uber fare on my app. I have never used Uber outside the US. Does it work the same way everywhere in the world?

I actually asked this same question on another thread.  It seems the Uber app is universal.  Good news!

Cheers

Follow signs to taxi stand on lowest level. Choose machine for type of trip local, luggage, people. It'll tell you what stall number your taxi is waiting for you at.

There can be tolls to sukhumvit area. Usually 75 baht total (2 tolls). If it's early morning I mention no traffic no need tolls, but I leave it up to driver. Sometimes tollway will be faster.

There is a legitimate 50 baht surcharge from airport.

Total cost with tolls and surcharge and meter usually less than 400 baht to sukhumvit.

On the way back to airport a bit after midnight no tolls, no surcharge, cost me less than 300 baht meter.

Stay away from the taxi guys inside the airport and use the taxi line and machine outside and you'll save some baht.

Ur better off using Grabtaxi to the airport, just make sure you flick the switch over to taxi and not private car. I found Uber always had a 1.5 surge on whenever l tried to use it.

Grabtaxi also works well in Manila and Cebu. Its in Pattaya but l have never used it there.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Follow signs to taxi stand on lowest level. Choose machine for type of trip local, luggage, people. It'll tell you what stall number your taxi is waiting for you at.

There can be tolls to sukhumvit area. Usually 75 baht total (2 tolls). If it's early morning I mention no traffic no need tolls, but I leave it up to driver. Sometimes tollway will be faster.

There is a legitimate 50 baht surcharge from airport.

Total cost with tolls and surcharge and meter usually less than 400 baht to sukhumvit.

On the way back to airport a bit after midnight no tolls, no surcharge, cost me less than 300 baht meter.

Stay away from the taxi guys inside the airport and use the taxi line and machine outside and you'll save some baht.

Thanks for the detailed routing to the taxi stand. I guess the mistake I made before was trying to negotiate the fare with agents inside the arrival area. Could you please explain a bit more on the machine? For example, I have luggage and my destination is Nana Plaza. So what should I be using? Thanks in advance.