Uber Vs Taxi

Kuku

Ur better off using Grabtaxi to the airport, just make sure you flick the switch over to taxi and not private car. I found Uber always had a 1.5 surge on whenever l tried to use it.

Grabtaxi also works well in Manila and Cebu. Its in Pattaya but l have never used it there.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Sorry, I am a bit lost here. What is Grabtaxi? Is it the same metered taxies that have the green and yellow color? I am going to Manila after BKK. But I am very familiar with Philippine.. So I get picked up by the hotel car.

Thanks for the detailed routing to the taxi stand. I guess the mistake I made before was trying to negotiate the fare with agents inside the arrival area. Could you please explain a bit more on the machine? For example, I have luggage and my destination is Nana Plaza. So what should I be using? Thanks in advance.

When you get down to the lower level, there are escalators down to there, go out the doors and look for the lines or cordoned off rope and stanchion area if there aren't many people.

Last time I was there, they had 3 machines. I didn't spend a lot of time reading the signs, but it seemed like they separated long distance from local. And they mentioned luggage too. I'm not sure if there's a surcharge for luggage. I know I took local on right. There was 3 machines.

I had a large suitcase, a carry on wheeler and a computer bag. I wasn't charged extra for that amount of luggage.

You'll get a paper with info about the taxi stand and stall number where the taxi is waiting for you.

If the driver takes the receipt, ask for it back. I think it has info about filing complaints. Probably won't need it but if you have the paper the driver is less likely to take advantage of you. Just my perception. You've got more leverage and he won't take you for a newbie.

Most of my rides have been fine. Been through the process about a dozen times. Worst taxi experiences I've had were minor, driver expected me to put bag in trunk. Ok, I guess he doesn't want a tip. Or the driver stops to get gas after picking me up and keeps meter running while I sit in car waiting to get to my hotel. Just stupid shit- no reason to avoid the taxi stand for me.

Most of them have been agreeable and helpful.

Grab is another downloadable app just like uber. I've seen both uber and grab come up as alternatives on Google maps, but never used them in Thailand.

Sorry, I am a bit lost here. What is Grabtaxi? Is it the same metered taxies that have the green and yellow color? I am going to Manila after BKK. But I am very familiar with Philippine.. So I get picked up by the hotel car.

Nope, Grabtaxi is kinda like Uber but more cash based. In PI and Thailand its what works the best. You can choose a van, taxi or private car and theres a 30 baht nominal fee added to the total fare from memory.

You can sit in your room or cafe etc and monitor the vehicle's arrival just like Uber. In PI they even have Grabtrike now Im told but Ive never personally used that.

• 4 weeks later...

How often do you guys ever take the Airport Rail Link instead of a taxi or Uber? It's been many years since I was last in Bangkok, but it used to take me about the same amount of time (45 min) whether it was by ARL or taxi to get to Phrom Phong. ARL would be 82 baht while taxi I'd say 400 baht.

How often do you guys ever take the Airport Rail Link instead of a taxi or Uber? It's been many years since I was last in Bangkok, but it used to take me about the same amount of time (45 min) whether it was by ARL or taxi to get to Phrom Phong. ARL would be 82 baht while taxi I'd say 400 baht.

Ive done it a few times but to be honest, its not worth the hassle if u have alot of luggage. I think u change over at Asok if lm not mistaken? Anyway, while its safe l think its better to just pay a little more and get a taxi who l must say, are relatively stress free compared to years ago when they'd try all sorts of crap to rip people off. It takes me around 30-45 minutes in a taxi to get to Nana still and a little longer l think by train. I travel with 10kg cabin luggage and l still catch a taxi as after a long flight l just want to have a shower and head out...

Ive done it a few times but to be honest, its not worth the hassle if u have alot of luggage. I think u change over at Asok if lm not mistaken? Anyway, while its safe l think its better to just pay a little more and get a taxi who l must say, are relatively stress free compared to years ago when they'd try all sorts of crap to rip people off. It takes me around 30-45 minutes in a taxi to get to Nana still and a little longer l think by train. I travel with 10kg cabin luggage and l still catch a taxi as after a long flight l just want to have a shower and head out...

I have used it twice. Once from my condo in Rama 9 to the airport and then airport back to my condo.

It is fairly straight forward and I will probably go down this route next week as all I'll have is a carry on small suitcase.

You actually can either change at makkasan, then walk to petchaburi mrt (it's connected), take the mrt to sukhumvit station and from there, either walk or take the BTS to wherever.

Or take the ARL till the end at phaya thai and then BTS to wherever.

• Upvote 1

I have used it twice. Once from my condo in Rama 9 to the airport and then airport back to my condo.

It is fairly straight forward and I will probably go down this route next week as all I'll have is a carry on small suitcase.

You actually can either change at makkasan, then walk to petchaburi mrt (it's connected), take the mrt to sukhumvit station and from there, either walk or take the BTS to wherever.

Or take the ARL till the end at phaya thai and then BTS to wherever.

Just had an unconfirmed report that the direct train is no more and the other one that stops at all statiins is packed.

Just had an unconfirmed report that the direct train is no more and the other one that stops at all statiins is packed.

It's a direct train but it's not a non stop train. So it'll still stop at all the ARL stations.

Yes its true that if you take from the city to the airport, it is incredibly packed. I had to wait 45 mins and could only take the 4th train.

But from the airport to the city, it's not full at all considering you get on at the airport when it's already empty.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

using the metered taxis is the best and most convenient. The ARL can be crowded as the thais use it to get into bangkok at night. With luggage i'd probably just use a taxi.

The ARL is in the basement in case anyone is not aware of the location

The meter Taxis are down the escalators and then exit on the left. There is a door about mid way down the hall. But don't walk all the way to the end hoping to walk the distance in a/c as there is no door at the end of the hall.