Taxi or Uber for travel around Bangkok?

Raven00

On 6/27/2019 at 10:09 PM, diablozz said:

Grabtaxi is great. The wait isn’t so bad from past experiences.

Well recommended from me also, Grab service do not turn down your request and also charge fair price. It is not like some taxi who charge crazy amount of fee. Also try grab food service, it is food delivery service recommended right now.

• Like 1

After a few trips, I would say that my experience with Grab taxis in Thailand has been positive so far

No risk of miscommunication on the destination nor worry about hidden charges

Plus using a new sim card with every trip, I was about to register new Grab accounts.

The rebates given to new accounts for Grab rides pay off a significant portion of the cost of the sim card

• Like 1

On 5/5/2020 at 2:24 AM, Admint said:

Grab is also useful as a tool to see how much the fare should cost if you need to negotiate with a taxi on short notice.

Yes I agree with you, Grab have a fair policy which will never cheat you and overcharge you. They even have the driver information and car licence in the database  to track that driver if they did something illegal.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Grab was my personal preference because of the easy of use and relative safe/hassle-free transport. I did find the trips to and from the airport/hotel a bit on the heavy side price-wise but after a long trip I really don't wanna haggle on prices and just want to get to my hotel asap.

Only thing I didn't like was the random driver that cancelled a drive just 5 minutes before arriving or just accepting and immediately cancelling.

I would love to use the subway more for the daily stuff (for the more standard shopping) as I love it in my own country but I'm always a little more hesitant in foreign countries because of the language barrier. Next time around I will definitely give it a try as it seems pretty straight forward and the time-saving can be significant during rush hours (which seem to be basically always in Bangkok)

On 5/2/2020 at 4:44 PM, Mike Y. said:

Also try grab food service, it is food delivery service recommended right now.

A late night live saver.... For food-delivery Foodpanda was great too

On 5/23/2020 at 6:17 PM, Mrmojo said:

Grab was my personal preference because of the easy of use and relative safe/hassle-free transport. I did find the trips to and from the airport/hotel a bit on the heavy side price-wise but after a long trip I really don't wanna haggle on prices and just want to get to my hotel asap.

Only thing I didn't like was the random driver that cancelled a drive just 5 minutes before arriving or just accepting and immediately cancelling.

I would love to use the subway more for the daily stuff (for the more standard shopping) as I love it in my own country but I'm always a little more hesitant in foreign countries because of the language barrier. Next time around I will definitely give it a try as it seems pretty straight forward and the time-saving can be significant during rush hours (which seem to be basically always in Bangkok)

A late night live saver.... For food-delivery Foodpanda was great too

Well, not try Foodpanda yet, is it better than grab or different places? Maybe I would pick another app for food delivery. Well I heard there is also Lineman app that do food delivery also.

On 5/24/2020 at 6:35 PM, Mike Y. said:

Well I heard there is also Lineman app that do food delivery also.

wanted to say thanks to everyone, especially for recommending this app.

what do you think is the most convenient taxi, by the way, if i want to travel multiple points in one night whilst taxi to wait for me? thanks

22 hours ago, Heizieray said:

what do you think is the most convenient taxi, by the way, if i want to travel multiple points in one night whilst taxi to wait for me? thanks

I think you should try grab they have an option of selecting multiple location at once, but I am not if the taxi will wait for you or not.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/25/2020 at 9:53 AM, Heizieray said:

Try Grab.

On 5/25/2020 at 11:53 PM, Heizieray said:

Just book a taxi for the night. I would probably say one of the private green/yellow taxis as they are private operators. Offer them enough and they’ll stay with you for the night, and maybe even provide some advice if you are looking for anything in particular.

• 2 years later...

grab works really well in Bangkok, fast and simple. Another advantage of grab is that you indicate directly where you want to go, you are sure to arrive at your destination. Unlike taxis, or between our accent, the taxi driver's poor understanding of English, I have already thrown in the towel after a while by dint of going around in circles without being able to get where I wanted.
sometimes the best is to mix public transport and grab: a part in skytrain to avoid the big traffic jams, get out at a station where there are not many people and order your grab. Be careful not to order a grab in congested places: galley guaranteed. and also choose the side of the ideal road, it sometimes takes 20min by car, to find yourself on the other side of the road (2min on foot 🙂